Lemon Buttermilk Cake By Dede Wilson

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 9:59am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever made this and refrigerated it successfully?

I'm making this but the recipe says don't refrigerate or it will dry out. I am icing with IMBC and it will need to be refrigerated for at least two days (assembling, icing on Thursday for Saturday).

I'm really worried about this drying out. I was thinking of doing a wash with a sugar syrup. I've never done it before though so I'm worried about overdoing it.

I just wanted to see if you guys had any advice.

Thanks,
AC

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 13

Hi, i haven,t made that one, but have made some of her cakes. If the instructions say not to refrigerate, then i would not. Leah_s on this site. says refrigerating a cake makes it dry out. I believe what she says. I would freeze it , before i would refrigerate it. hth I made a lemon cake this past week end. not her recipe. I also used smbc. I torted, filled, and crumb coated with the smbc. i froze it in a box sealed really good. Then iced it couple days later. and took to the party.

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:02am
post #3 of 13

Ok so you think it's ok to freeze it iced in IMBC? I've never frozen a decorated cake before. I'm putting silver dragees on it-do you think they will fall off if I freeze it?

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 13

is this cake recipe on cake central recipes?

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 13

is this cake recipe on cake central recipes?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 13

I know a big fancy phrase about this. icon_biggrin.gif

When you frige something like a cake it goes into retro gradation--that might be the right term--my son told me.

But anyway the way I describe it is that for butter cakes, the butter doesn't loosen up when it comes back to room temp. It seems I can microzap it back into health though if there's no icing on it.

I think friging scratch cake made with butter should be avoided.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Ok so you think it's ok to freeze it iced in IMBC? I've never frozen a decorated cake before. I'm putting silver dragees on it-do you think they will fall off if I freeze it?

I have frozen iced SMBC cakes before, with simple decoration/piping on it. Not tried it with degrees. I would add the degrees after coming to room temp.

I would NOT put this cake in the fridge at all. It WILL dry out!

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for your replies. Ok one more question...

Do you think if I iced it on Friday it would be ok to sit out at room temp until Saturday evening? I saw on the Rose Levy Beranbaum forum it says IMBC can sit out for two days, but I know this is a controversial topic.

At a last resort I suppose I could freeze the decorated cake. Do I just put it in the box then wrap it in saran? What do you guys do when you freeze a decorated cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Thanks for your replies. Ok one more question...

Do you think if I iced it on Friday it would be ok to sit out at room temp until Saturday evening? I saw on the Rose Levy Beranbaum forum it says IMBC can sit out for two days, but I know this is a controversial topic.

At a last resort I suppose I could freeze the decorated cake. Do I just put it in the box then wrap it in saran? What do you guys do when you freeze a decorated cake?

If there's no perishable fillings it should be fine on the counter that length of time.

I would not freeze it myself.

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 13

Ok thanks that's what I needed to know.

Do you think it will be ok frozen before I ice it? The recipe said that it can be frozen but not refrigerated. Just wanted to make sure.

I was just going to use canned lemon curd mixed with BC for the filling.

Thanks again K8!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #11 of 13

I freeze my scratch buttercakes containing real butter with no problem on thawing with regard to mouthfeel or behaviour of fat content. In your shoes, I would wrap the cake itself in three layers of cling film and freeze. Keep your premade SMBC in the fridge until you are ready to assemble. When ready, let the SMBC sit out until its soft enough to work with, and cover the cake layers. You can do this while the cake is still not completely thawed out, but make sure it is thawed if you are decorating then delivering (as no-one wants to eat frozen cake, LOL!)

I would suggest leaving the dragees OFF until you are about to deliver the cake - they will take on condensation and moisture and distort/smudge.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:42am
post #12 of 13

again, i freeze smbc iced cakes. Like GI said, don,t put on the dragees until it is thawed. Freezing them makes them more moist. But putting in fridge can make them dry.

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:59am
post #13 of 13

Ok that's great. Thanks for helping me out. It's for my own wedding cake so I'm trying to figure out my icing/decorating schedule.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%