Where Are The Pa Home Based Bakers?

Business By MAPrincess Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 4:20am by homebasedbaking

MAPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAPrincess Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 5

I found the handy list at the top of this forum that states that only some areas of PA allow home based bakeries. I only do this VERY part time (fewer than 10 cakes a year for friends and family). Recently, a friend of a friend asked if I could do a cake for her and I am feeling like this is entering "business" realm rather than just a hobby.

I am having trouble finding PA specific information. I do have pets in the home but they do not have access to the kitchen- is this a problem anyway? I feel like since I am doing so few cakes a year anyway, some of the regulations seem over the top. But if anyone can help me navigate PA, I'd appreciate it! (I am in Upper Merion Twp, if anyone else is also in this area).

Thank you! (And sorry if this information is already on here- I tried searching but don't really know what I am doing!)

4 replies
cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I am in Camp Hill, PA. I am in the process of moving out of my retail location back to my home. First I had to get permission from the borough of Camp Hill for a "Light Home Occupation" permit which I did. This is for production only in my house, which is okay because I only do wedding cakes , which are delivered. I needed to have a seperate kitchen, away from the rest of the household. The addition we are adding onto the back of the house will have my 3 bay sink, handwashing sink, slop sink ect. and everything I need to have it inspected and approved by the Department of Agriculture. Start by contacting your township officials. They should be able to tell you the requirements needed to pass inspection. If they aren't helpful call the Dept of Agriculture. Keep calling and being persistant. I know the information isn't easily found. Good luck.

MAPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAPrincess Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I separate kitchen doesn't bode well for me. It doesn't seem like a good investment for a once a month cakeicon_smile.gif I'd almost want to build my business before committing to something like that.

But I will definitely call my twp and the DofA to see if I can get specific answers for my situation. I wish they made it easier and I could at least find the right person on their website. I guess I'll call the main number and bug them unti; I get the job done.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 5

I am very interested in this too. I will be moving to PA next year, but I do more hand crafted chocolates and novelty items. I've been trying to get info from the DOA and it is very daunting.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:20am
post #5 of 5

Hello PA Bakers,

Here is some resource information that may help. The state of PA has a wonderful website that provides information on starting a food business. Here's the link:

Here is the telephone number: Penn State at 877-489-1389 They just had a start a food biz workshop on Nov. 19th not sure when another will be held.

I can tell you that home-based baking is allowed more in rural areas than in urban areas, however it really depends on where you live. Hope this is helpful. ~ Denay

Quote by @%username% on %date%