How To Make Red Buttercream?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm by G_Cakes

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 5

By the time I get close to red the buttercream is funky! How can I make red bc?
TIA, Michele

4 replies
tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

Which brand of colors are you using? If you're using Wilton, then it will take a LOT of it. I prefer the americolor brands (they finally got them at Hobby Lobby), it doesnt take much to make a great red. And the longer you let it sit, the darker red you'll get.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

Red is such a challenging color. I've had issues with it changing the consistency of my BC, even when using the gel color. The last time I made it, I added more ps after the fact and that seemed to help a bit. I was thinking that next time, I'd add the color before I add the ps and see if that makes any difference. I've always used Wilton, and that might well be part of my problem!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 5

hi, bakery craft has the best red of any brand,Red Red. Of course that is my opinion. I learned this from earlene moore some years ago. Also, chefmaster has wonderful true colors. I,ve used them for 16 yrs. I have a little of all brands. I,ve never had any problem with any wilton colors . hth

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

I find Americolor works best for me. It doesnt take much to get a true red color.

Wilton is ok but I find you do have to use quite a bit of it.

I find it also helps if you can tint the icing first perhaps with some pick and then add your red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%