Help... 6"x2" Pan Is Not Cooking Right...

Baking By sleeman789 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm by sleeman789

sleeman789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeman789 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hello Everyone,
I just bought a new 6"x2" cake pan and it doesn't seem to be cooking right.
The first time I tried it, it didn't cook in the middle... So I tried using a heating core... same thing (I know those aren't necessary unless the cake is over 10" but I tried) and then I tried with just the Wilton Bake even strips... it looked good and then as it cooled the middle collapsed so it kind of has a donut effect...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Please Help!
Thanks!

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 12

the collapsing thing makes it sound like its underbaked. how hot is the oven, and how long is it in?
it might be overfilled as well, then it just wont bake properly.
xx

sleeman789 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 12

The oven is at 350 degrees, I put it in for 30 minutes and I put 4 cups of batter in the pan.. what it calls for... should I keep it in longer... the top of the cake and the outsides look completely cooked and the tester comes out clean... I just dont know!?! icon_confused.gif

Lisa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa23 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 12

The 6 inch round only needs 2 cups of batter, 4 cups would fill 2 pans. That's the size I use the most. That might be the problem.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 12

im not sure if the cups sound right, i dont use that measurement, but i usually aim for filling the pan between half and three quarters full.
coud maybe try 325 for slightly longer.
could it maybe be something with the recipe? is whatever makes your cake rise within date?
xx

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 12

Trust me, it's not the pan.

It could be your oven temperature (I bake at 325 and it takes longer, but it bakes evenly). Could be too much batter in the pan. I have 3 of those and I don't think they hold 4 cups of batter. Fill between half and 3/4 full.

You don't need a heating core for a pan that small.

What kind of recipe are you using?

Another thing to remember is to not open the door oven for at least 20 min at the very beginning.

sleeman789 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 12

K, now I feel like a silly... trying to fit 4 cups of batter in that tiny thing... well, I will take everything you guys have said and try again.
Thank you all very much for your input...

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 12

sleeman789, lower the temperature. I've looked through all my books, and that's the culprit for "cake that sinks in the middle." Low and slow. You'll be fine. Don't feel like a silly...lol. We've all gone through that. First time I made cupcakes, they all overflowed.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 12

I'd be interested to know if you've used this batter recipe in other small pans and if it turned out ok in those? It could be that the recipe has too much liquid in it.

At any rate, I would def suggest less batter in the pan and lowering the temp - you can still use the wraps, which will increase the baking time as well.

Tell us how it turns out next time!

sleeman789 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 12

I will try the 'low and slow' method... the recipe seems fine... i cooked the same batter in an 8 inch pan as well...
Thank you all!

I will let you know how it works out!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 12

the wilton chart has approximate cups of batter to use for each size of pan. HTH

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

sleeman789 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 12

Leily- that is super helpful, thanks... obivously the one i looked at was wrong, telling me to put 4 cups in there...

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%