Petit Four Glaze Question

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 4:06am by alleykat1

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 8

Hello cake friends!

I have an order for mini cakes wrapped as Christmas presents. I was going to use this recipe for the glaze

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7623/petit-four-glaze

I was thinking instead of using the white candy melts I would use the Green and Red ones since I need to color the glaze in red and green anyway. This way I'm thinking I'll have to use less coloring.

Does anyone foresee a problem? Has anyone used this before?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 8

i love petit fours, i have used every type coating imaginble! i don't forsee any problem with the colored candy melts, i've made several colors from pastels to primarys...though they still have a bit of sheerness to them no matter what color i use. crumb coating at least the tops with buttercream frosting or a fruit glaze is very helpful with the crumbs....for some reason the chocolate in the recipe loves to catch any crumbs it can and they are pretty hard to get rid of, thinner glazes go thru a sieve and boom! they are gone, but the chocolate gets harder quicker and is thicker. i have used a very similar recipe and it was FANTASTIC!! the difference was i used a little less confectioners sugar and a little more candy melts, OH and i used butavan in place of the extract...WOW! seriously the butavan just wowed me! give it a try some time!! good luck, bet they will be fantastic!

Lizmybit Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 8

Would you mind sharing the recipe where you used different amounts of chocolate and powdered sugar? I would love to have it. I was wondering if I should crumb coat them. But I was afraid that the butter cream would melt. You haven't had a problem with this?

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 8

i have been crazy busy....so first when i crumb coat with buttercream i freeze it untill hardened, then pour...sometimes tricky, it took me awhile to get the hang of it...but its soooo goood under the coating. if you dont have the time or want to deal with the freezing, boil some apricot jam (its only sweet...the mildest flavor and wont affect the taste of your petit fours) brush it on he tops and sides of the pf's, let dry and cool a bit (it will stay a bit sticky so i would suggest handling as little as possible) then pour. heres the recipe i mentioned previously!
1 cup of candy coating (whtie choco..in your case red and green!)
1 lb or 4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup hot water
2 ts butavan (liquer flavors are great too, like creme de mint, kalua etc.)
since your using colored candy coating food coloring isn't needed

melt your candy coating (microwave, or in sauce pan over LOW heat) stir untill its smooth, mix the powdered sugar, corn syrup, and hot water and stir untill its smooth, add you melted candy and the butavan or flavor of choice, untill combined and smooth. i mix everything by hand to avoid getting air in the glaze, if the mix gets too thick to pour easily heat it up on low heat and add a little more water untill its easy to pour again. i usually double this recipe, since you said you were using to different colors i broke it down to half of what i would use. hope this help and you like it! good luck and enjoy!!!

Lizmybit Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 8

Mrs Foxy,

Once you glaze the Petit Four can the be put in the fridge? Or frozen? I've never worked with it I'm not sure how they behave when chilled.

Beth

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:42am
post #6 of 8

ok question...I think I saw a silicone pan at hobby lobby with little squares can I just bake the cake in those and then coat them??

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 8

Yes, you can. I love that brownie pan, that is all I use it for now!

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #8 of 8

cool thanks any ideas of toppers for a bridal shower?? Loucinda I love your bow do you do the gelatin stuff alot?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%