Questions About The Dobord....

Baking By yellobutterfly Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm by toleshed

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #1 of 11

I just got a dobord! can't wait to try it out - wondering about the instructions - do you guys really oil it? is wood oil food safe? and do you wash with soap and water after and before each use?

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 11

I mostly line mine with plastic wrap when I use it so I don't have to wash it. But if it does get messy, I just clean it off--I don't put it in a sink full of water. I've never oiled mine but I guess I could. I'd use vegetable oil I guess but I'd be concerned that it would stay sticky.

I do store it on it's edge so it cannot collect dust on it. Probably should keep it wrapped if I ever did oil it because the dust would stick to it even on it's side.

They are awesome.

I thought it was a frivolous thing until I used it. I love it.

yellobutterfly Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 11

thank you k8! I think I remember reading that some people use parchment even with the dobord - I am a parchment girl and always roll between parchment so I won't have to add extra flour - just wondering how this works (parchment) with a dobord? anyone? do you cut the parchment the size of the square? does it slide around?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 11

Well you can kinda mash down into the middle of the cookie dough or whatever with the rolling pin--I know I've used parchment. You should be fine.

It is a wonderful tool!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 11

I always use parchment with mine. I've only spot cleaned it and never oiled it. I do wash the rolling pin, tho. I've had my dobord for about 8 years.

I just use parchment sheets. They're bigger than the board, but they don't move around. What DOES move around is the board itself! I put a square of non-skid mat under it to keep it in place.

yellobutterfly Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:09am
post #6 of 11

thank you both! I can't wait to try it out - hopefully tomorrow!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 11

Aren't they made of wood? Obviously, I don't have one but I think the picture of one that I've seen was made of wood. If so, oiling it would be just like oiling a wood cutting board, wouldn't it? It keeps the wood from drying out and cracking.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:43am
post #8 of 11

I figure the butter from my cookie dough oils the board as I use it!

yellobutterfly Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

lol, I didn't know you were supposed to oil wood cutting boards, but I don't own any either...where do you buy wood oil?

I tried the dobord yesterday and loved it!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:50am
post #10 of 11

My husband just uses vegetable oil to oil our cutting boards. He wipes on a thin layer, lets it sit a couple of minutes, and then wipes off anything left. I have no idea if this is the correct way or not, he's in charge of doing it so I let him do it whatever way he wants. icon_smile.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 11

I always roll my dough between 2 sheets of parchment on my doboard. I tape the bottom sheet down. Works good. I never knew I was supposed to oil. I have a huge wooden cutting board that takes up a big part of my island. The place we bought it said to use Mineral Oil on it. Which I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%