Swiss Meringue Buttercream Problem Solved!!

Baking By fuchica2007 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:12pm by vaniti716

fuchica2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuchica2007 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Ladies,
I just wanted to post a success story I had last night when attempting to make SMBC for the third time. Both times I had tried in the past it would come out runny.. tasting great, but very difficult to work with. So yesterday, after reading a few different suggestions I finally got it to stay thick and delicious. What I did differently was that while I was heating up my egg whites and suger, I put my mixer bowl in the freezer. When the suger/eggs hit 160 degrees, I put them into the cold bowl, and then started whipping. I left it whipping until it was nice and think and shiny. My next thing that I did differently was to add in butter right out of the fridge. My kitchenaid mixer can deal with the butter being a bit hard, but I think my problem before was that my meringue was warm and adding room temp butter to it just kept it all sad and runny. I was able to pipe my frosting onto cupcakes last night and they are wonderful icon_smile.gif So happy I finally figured this out, hope this post helps anyone who is having the same issues!

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, thank you for sharing. I too use the butter from the fridge.

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 3

wow thank u sooo much for sharing...i was having the same issue i was about to give up using that butter creme even though it tastes sooooo good....i actually was able to fix my issue also but i think i will try your method it seems better than mine icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%