Holiday Cookie Exchange 2010

Baking By Melvira Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm by Melvira

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #31 of 84

Sorry, have to ask-- what's a cookie walk?

these recipes sound so yummy!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:49pm
post #32 of 84

Here's one to try. It's from myrecipes dot com

Double-Ginger Cookies

1-1/2 C all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1-1/4 C sugar, divided
1/2 C applesauce
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
cooking spray

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups & level with a knife. Combine flours & next 5 ingredients (flours through ground ginger); stir well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine 1 C sugar, applesauce & next 4 ingredients (applesauce through vanilla). Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist; cover & chill dough at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat hands with flour. Shape dough into 24 balls (about 2 T each; dough will be sticky). Roll balls in 1/4 C sugar. Place balls 2" apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on pan. Remove from pan & cool completely on wire racks.

NOTE: These freeze well. Place cooled cookies in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; store in freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #33 of 84

Here's another one from myrecipes dot com:

Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies

Lace these sugar cookies with a double hit of vanilla from the seeds & extract of the vanilla bean. Frost the cookies white & sprinkle with irridescent glitter...they'll look like delicate snowflakes.

1 vanilla bean
3/4 C butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 - 12 oz package white chocolate morsels, divided
shortening
silver & white edible glitter
sparkling white sugar

Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Carefully scrape out seeds using a small sharp knive. Set seeds aside. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar & vanilla bean seeds, beating until light & fluffy. Add egg & vanilla extract, mixing well.

Combine flour & salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until smooth. Shape dough into 4 discs; wrap each in plastic wrap & chill for at least 1 hour.

Roll each disk to 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with 3 and 4 inch snowflake, star, angel or Christmas tree cutters. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks & cool completely.

Combine 1/2 C white chocolate morsels & 1 T shortening in a 1-cup glass measure. Melt morsels according to package directions.

Place cookies on a wire rack over wax paper. Pour or spread white chocolate mixture over each cookie, tilting cookie to coat completely. Sprinkle cookies with glitter & sparkling sugar. Let stand until frosting hardens. Repeat procedure with remaining white morsels, shortening, glitter & sugar until all cookies are decorated.

We used a 6" copper snowflake cookie cutter to yield 1 dozen big cookies that baked 12 minutes.

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:09am
post #34 of 84

Our cookie walks offer between 20-30 different kinds of holiday cookies. Customers "walk" down the lineup of cookies and pick the kinds and quantities they want. (Plastic gloves of course). It is VERY POPULAR!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:18pm
post #35 of 84

Ok, new recipes added! Thank you contributors... you make this so much fun!

elliegails, I LOVE doing that! I have a minimum amount of cookies you have to order to justify me making a batch, so this is the perfect way for people to get a nice assortment. I also love doing cookie trays with just half a dozen of all different flavors on it. (The ensuing fist fights over the last of each flavor is NOT my fault... well, not entirely!) icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:10am
post #36 of 84

The FN 12 Days of Cookies has begun.

Here's the link to Day 1. And what did they start with? A cake mix cookie! For those newbies who don't know, cake mix cookies are self-explanatory - cookies made with a cake mix base; every working mother's second best friend. And these look like a winner -

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chocolate-gooey-butter-cookies-recipe/index.html?nl=FN_Cookie2010-Day1_Paula

Enjoy!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:37pm
post #37 of 84

This is a Christmas cookie recipe that has been in our family for many years. My grandmother made them every year, then my mom, and so on. They don't look very exciting sitting on the cookie tray, they're not colorful or fancy, but they are GOOD.

Stuffed Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs milk

Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy; add egg and beat until smooth. Add vanillla. Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk. Roll out 1/8" thick.

Filling
1 cup sugar
1Tbs flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped dates
2 Tbs lemon juice
pinch salt
3/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan. Cook over low heat until thick and bubbly. Cool completely.

Cut out 2 cookies. Place about 1 tsp of filling on first cookie and top with the second (sandwich fashion). Press edges to seal. Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes, or until just starting to brown at the edges.
There is usually enough filling to double the dough recipe.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #38 of 84

Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif
I'll post my favorites later today icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Melvira Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #39 of 84

Raisin and date filling, I'm sold. I make date pinwheels that people think they won't like because they don't think they like dates, then they try one. YUM!!! I will go add both of those right now. Thank you so much for your participation my friends!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Raisin and date filling, I'm sold. I make date pinwheels that people think they won't like because they don't think they like dates, then they try one...

Yeah, I have actually gotten into the habit of refusing to tell people what the filling is made of until they taste one. I think they hear "dates" and think "prunes". icon_cry.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #41 of 84

These are horribly addicting, especially straight from the oven.

I also like to toss them in the microwave for a few seconds to remelt the center a bit before eating.

Mayan cookies
Ingredients:

Topping:

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Cookies:

3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Topping:

Combine sugar and cinnamon for topping.
Cookies:

Beat shortening, butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add next 6 ingredients, mixing until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
Roll in 1 balls, dont flatten. Roll into cinnamon and sugar topping. Place on prepared cookie sheets, about 2 (5 cm) apart.
Bake 8-10 minutes. Co
okies should still be soft in centre. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Remove, cool on wire rack.

Melvira Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:38pm
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Yeah, I have actually gotten into the habit of refusing to tell people what the filling is made of until they taste one. I think they hear "dates" and think "prunes". icon_cry.gif

Their loss! hahahaha!

aswartzw, I will add your recipe right now. Sounds delish!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:00pm
post #43 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Quote:

Raisin and date filling, I'm sold. I make date pinwheels that people think they won't like because they don't think they like dates, then they try one...

Could you substitute with prunes, do you think?
Prunes grow on a tree in my yard, dates must be imported and are expensive here.

Melvira Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Could you substitute with prunes, do you think?
Prunes grow on a tree in my yard, dates must be imported and are expensive here.

Oh yes, you can substitute any of those for each other, raisins, prunes, dates, all of them work well in place of each other. The taste may be slightly different, but it will still be amazing.

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:41pm
post #45 of 84

FN 12 Days of Cookies - Day 3

Note - This is the Macaroon recipe I use. They're awesome!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Coconut Macaroons
Copyright, 2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved
Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 25 min Level:
Easy Serves:
20 to 22 cookies Ingredients

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.

Melvira Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #46 of 84

I love macaroons! Do you guys ever have trouble with them sticking to the paper? I had that happen to me once and I was SO mad! icon_mad.gif I wonder what I did differently or wrong.

Would someone mind clicking on the link to the recipe doc to make sure you can access it. For some reason when I log on to my Google docs is says it is not shared, and I can't remember if that means that no one else can MODIFY it, or that no one else can even see it. icon_rolleyes.gif I truly am a natural blonde. icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #47 of 84

Yep, works fine Melvira!

Holiday Cookies 2010
Last Updated by Melvira: 12/1/10 9:46AM

Melvira Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #48 of 84

Oh good! Thanks for checking for me. I think it just means no one else can edit it without my permission.

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #49 of 84
Quote:

I love macaroons! Do you guys ever have trouble with them sticking to the paper? I had that happen to me once and I was SO mad! icon_mad.gif I wonder what I did differently or wrong.

Removing the cookies from the parchment, with this particular recipe, is a matter of perfect timing. Too soon, and they roll up on the spatula like an uncooked pancake. Too late, and they stick to the paper. But, if you take the paper off the tray, and slide it on the edge of the counter (a la removing a RI or chocolate transfer), they come off easier when stuck. It gives it a little edge for the spatula to slide under. Oh, and yes, the best tool to remove them with is an offset spatula.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #50 of 84

Ok good, so it's not just me! Hehehe. I ingested SO much paper that day! icon_redface.gif I have this really awesome super thin metal turner that I use for cookies, I bought it at the Amana Colonies and it is absolutely phenomenal. I have a narrow and a wide one. They're about the same thickness as an offset spatula and I adore them!

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:57pm
post #51 of 84

In our table during holidays is a must "Pignoli cookies". They are expensive to make, BUT the taste is wort it (original Italy). I have another a must have cookies, I posted in a recipe blog, but it will appear in a few days...check them out (original Czech)
Pignoli cookies (makes aprox 30)
2 1/2 cups Pine nuts
1 (7 oz) tube of Almond paste
3/4 cup sugar, regular
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Take 1/4 c of the pine nuts and pulse in a food processor until coarsely ground, add almond paste to the processor, add sugar..process until mixture is crumbly. Put it in a bowl add egg whites , vanilla, flour, salt and mix together until smooth (it will be sticky! Using a teaspoon and moistened hands, take 1 tsp of batter and roll it into a ball. Drop the ball in the whole pine tuts until completely coated. Place on parchment paper (2 inch apart) Bake at 325 F for about 20 min, or until lightly browned. Eat the best fresh or, store them in a airtight container. Enjoy

Melvira Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 2:52pm
post #52 of 84

Recipe added! Thank you ZlatkaT for sharing a very Italian treat! I saw Giada make those on her show once, (same name, not necessarily same recipe of course!) but haven't tried them. I'm afraid I'm going to have to now! icon_lol.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #53 of 84

Here are a few cookies I love! I take pics of everything and post on a blog or on recipes I post to websites so I have pics of all the cookies...hopefully I can get them to show up icon_smile.gif Happy baking!

Carrot Cream Cheese Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, large
1 cup carrot, shredded, steamed and cooled
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Orange Glaze
1/2 orange, juice of
orange zest, from 1/2 an orange
1 tablespoon lemon juice
16 ounces powdered sugar, small box

1-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2 Cream together shortening and sugar, add egg blend well.
3 In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4 Stir in carrots and nuts.
5 Drop by the spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 min or until set.
6 Set aside to cool (If you are using glaze you will want to frost while cookies are still warm).
7 Cream Cheese Frosting: Mix softened cream cheese (important or it will be lumpy) by itself for about 1 minute, add butter and mix well.
8 Slowly add powdered sugar then vanilla and lemon juice, mix well.
9 Frost cooled cookies. 10 Orange Glaze: Combine orange juice, grind, and lemon juice. Slowly stir in powdered sugar and mix.

[/url]

divinecc Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:39am
post #54 of 84

Chocolate Marshmallow Pillows-bettycrocker

Betty Crocker double chocolate chunk cookie mix (could replace with chocolate chip or peanut butter???)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water
1 egg
2/3 cup chopped pecans
12 large marshmallows, cut in half
Frosting
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 In a bowl combine cookie mix, oil, water, egg and pecans until dough is soft.
3 Drop dough by a rounded tablespoons or a little less ( these are best on the small side so you can get a taste of marshmallow with every bite!) on an ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart. Slightly flatten tops.
4 Bake 7-9 minutes; take from oven and quickly press cut side of marshmallow half lightly on top of cookie.
5 Bake 1-3 minutes longer or until marshmallow just begins to soften. You can flatten the marshmallow a little if you want.
6 Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet, remove to cooling racks. Let cool completely about 20 minutes.
7 Meanwhile in a small saucepan or double boiler, melt chocolate chips over low heat stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat and add cream, butter and vanilla; blend well. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
8 Spread frosting over cooled cookies in a swirling motion covering marshmallow. Let frosting set and enjoy

divinecc Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:39am
post #55 of 84

icon_lol.gif Sorry the pic is sooo BIG!

divinecc Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #56 of 84

Alright this is last one and it is a recipe I made up!

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/asbobo02/ChocolateMintCookieTarts.jpg
haha thought I would just do a link this time so you didn't get a massive pic!

Chocolate Mint Cookie Tarts

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla, I always use mexican vanilla, if you don't have that use vanilla extract, reg vanilla will do if not
2 large eggs
1 cup Andes mint baking chips
Andes mint baking chips, to sprinkle on top of tarts out of oven 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips, roughly chopped

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees, remember if using nonstick turn temp down to 325.
2 Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3 Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer.
4 Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5 Gradually beat in flour mixture.
6 Stir in mint baking chips and milk choc chips.
7 Drop one Tablespoon of dough into ungreased mini muffin tins.
8 Bake for 11-13 minutes.
9 Right out of the oven, drop some of your leftover Andes mint baking chips on top of each tart, then go back and spread/swirl.
10 Using a butter knife, pop up tart and transfer to a cooling rack, let cool completely.

Melvira Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:46am
post #57 of 84

Oh... my... cookies! I want to put my face in those cookies and shake it!! Hehehehe. I will add those recipes in the morning if you're good with that because I'm working on a large cupcake order and I still want to get to bed sometime tonight. (Just letting them cool a second longer, that's why I'm on here. Crud, busted!!)

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #58 of 84

This is an easy & quick cookie recipe using a boxed cake mix.

Yummy Cookies

1 package yellow cake mix
2 large eggs
1/3 cup water
¼ cup margarine or butter
1 cup peanut butter
6 oz. chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients.
Batter will be stiff.
For cookies drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet, bake 8 10
minutes at 350 degrees.
For bars spread into greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake 18 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Variation: use chocolate cake mix with peanut butter chips.

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:48am
post #60 of 84

Thank you, 7yyrt

I tried to post that earlier, but the system does not let me page backward, so I couldn't get to it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%