Which Stand Mixer Is The Best?

Decorating By Perpz Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 6:10am by Perpz

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 21

I was wondering if someone could help me choose which Stand Mixer is the best? I'm looking at the KitchenAidPro 5+(450watts, 10speed, 3 qrts) which is on sale at Canadian Tire; and the Cuisinart 1000 watt, 7 Quart stand mixer which is also on sale.
I was just reading some reviews from Canadian Tire and apparently, the Cuisinart motor cannot handle bread doughs from some reviews and some says it's great. If I look at the features, I would definitely go for cuisinart for the bigger bowl and higher watt. But the reviews are making me think twice!~ HELP!
I am a bit confused. Both are currently on sale at Canadian Tire. argh! My husband wants me to choose as he's giving it to me as an early Christmas gift! yay!

20 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 21

I have both, and I usually end up using the Kitchenaid, but it's because the bowl is easier for me to handle. The bowl on the Cuisinart is taller and deeper, so it's harder to scrape that bottom of the bowl for me. The Cuisinart is supposed to be good for bread, though, so I don't know what the reviews that you saw said, but everyone who makes a lot of bread who I know likes the Cuisinart just for the stronger motor.

If I had to choose I'd probably go for the Cuisinart just because of the larger capacity and stronger motor, and I'd suck it up about the taller bowl.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 21

I would advise the Cuisinart or a Viking. Not the KitchenAid. KA used to be good. Not so much any more.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 21

I would advise the Cuisinart or a Viking. Not the KitchenAid. KA used to be good. Not so much any more.

Perpz Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have both, and I usually end up using the Kitchenaid, but it's because the bowl is easier for me to handle. The bowl on the Cuisinart is taller and deeper, so it's harder to scrape that bottom of the bowl for me. The Cuisinart is supposed to be good for bread, though, so I don't know what the reviews that you saw said, but everyone who makes a lot of bread who I know likes the Cuisinart just for the stronger motor.

If I had to choose I'd probably go for the Cuisinart just because of the larger capacity and stronger motor, and I'd suck it up about the taller bowl.

Thank you for your advise. I just saw the reviews from the Canadian Tire website itself wherein people reviews the product. There was one specific review there who even compared KA from Cuisinart which totally made me so confused since she has used both. Just thought I'd post it here on CC since there are more pro bakers here!
I think I'll go with the cuisinart then

thanks again!

Perpz Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Unfortunately, we don't have viking here, at least from where I'm from as I live in the rockies and everything else is far. I'll take your advice and go for the Cuisinart icon_smile.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 21

I've had a Kitchen Aid for 13 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But I only use it for cake batter and icing.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 21

City Chef Kitchenware is a Canadian supplier of Cuisinart, Viking and KA. They have free shipping in Canada unless you live in Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories or somewhere else in Canada thats very remote. Heres the link..

http://citychef.ca/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=304

I have an old smaller KA and a fairly new Viking Professional 7qt mixer. Love them both, use them both regularly, depending on what I'm making.

I would not buy a newer KA nowadays. They are no longer made by Hobart like the old models, KA mixers are a whirlpool product now, and unfortunately, not up to snuff anymore.

I did a lot of checking before buying my Viking against Cuisinart, and liked the sturdiness of the Viking attachments a lot more. The Viking attatchments are good and solid. The Cuisinart attachments, I found rather flimsy, almost cheaply made, so that alone made me choose the Viking. And, I'm very glad I did!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #10 of 21

I had the KA Artisan and six months ago upgraded to a 7 qt Cuisinart. I LOVE IT! Wouldn't ever go back. Huge motor. Huge bowl. It can be a pain to scrape down to the bottom of the bowl it because it is so tall, but it is totally worth it to me (and there is less of a dimple on the bottom of the Cuisinart bowl, so less stuff gets stuck down there). I can make a double batch of WASC or NFSC in it. LOVE IT!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 21

I bought a new mixer in October and bought the Cuisinart 7-quart. I, too, am an old KA supporter, but the newer models aren't what the older models were. Once Hobart gave up making them, they haven't been up to snuff as far as I'm concerned. I love my Cuisinart and bought it because of the larger bowl. As stated above, you can make double batches of batters and frostings and not have a mess! I looked at the Viking as well, but was told that parts are harder to get if something does goes wrong, and I didn't find a lot of negative about it or the Cuisinart, so I opted for the Cuisinart. I still have and still use my ol KA, but my Cuisinart is getting the most usage right now. Love it, love it, love it!

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #12 of 21

Even Cooks Illustrator changed to Cuisinart.

Review here.

Advance to 04:54.

http://bostoncp.http.internapc.....ake_hi.m4v

Perpz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:50am
post #13 of 21

Thank you so much for all the response! I'll go and check the websites and another thread posted. I'm too excited! I'm getting addicted to CC already. I'm just a newbie when it comes to cake decorating and I'm thankful I found this site as I'm learning a lot! I only started 4 months ago and I just know this is what I want to do if ever I get tired of my curretn job! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Perpz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:05am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Even Cooks Illustrator changed to Cuisinart.

Review here.

Advance to 04:54.

http://bostoncp.http.internapc.....ake_hi.m4v

I'm having trouble viewing the link you posted.. icon_sad.gif

galpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galpal Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #16 of 21

I have an older KA, but it is the small size. I replaced it with the new KA. It leaked oil and after research learned they have lots of problems. So replaced that one with Cusinart 7 QT. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I just bought the blade that is designed to eliminate addional scraping. Anxious to try it...loved thescraper blade for my old KA.

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:21am
post #17 of 21

I never thought I would meet another person who had problem with oil leaks. I had to do lots of research when buying my 7qt Cuisinart because I knew someone with that oil problem leak into their food!

That's when I found this link, and started reading. Seems to be a common problem.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

Perpz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #18 of 21
Quote:

You might be able to watch it here.

http://castroller.com/podcasts/CooksIllustratedVideo/1038060-Fluffy%20Yellow%20Layer%20Cake

Got it..thank you so much!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:58am
post #19 of 21

Galpal--what additional attachment did you find that eliminates the scraping for the 7qt Cuisinart? I looked for one when I got my Cuisinart 6 months ago and didn't find anything. And I just looked again at the Cuisinart site. Can you point me to where you found that part? I'd like to ask Santa for it for Christmas!

Perpz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:05am
post #20 of 21
Quote:

I never thought I would meet another person who had problem with oil leaks. I had to do lots of research when buying my 7qt Cuisinart because I knew someone with that oil problem leak into their food!

That's when I found this link, and started reading. Seems to be a common problem.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

After reading these complaints, I've made up my mind and not buy any KA's. I think the previous posts are correct when it comes to manufacturer's defects. It seems that the older KA's are built to last but the newer ones made by whirlpool are no longer the same.

Thanks lots for all the replies!

Perpz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:10am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

City Chef Kitchenware is a Canadian supplier of Cuisinart, Viking and KA. They have free shipping in Canada unless you live in Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories or somewhere else in Canada thats very remote. Heres the link..

http://citychef.ca/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=304

I have an old smaller KA and a fairly new Viking Professional 7qt mixer. Love them both, use them both regularly, depending on what I'm making.

I would not buy a newer KA nowadays. They are no longer made by Hobart like the old models, KA mixers are a whirlpool product now, and unfortunately, not up to snuff anymore.

I did a lot of checking before buying my Viking against Cuisinart, and liked the sturdiness of the Viking attachments a lot more. The Viking attatchments are good and solid. The Cuisinart attachments, I found rather flimsy, almost cheaply made, so that alone made me choose the Viking. And, I'm very glad I did!

I think for now I'll stick with the Cuisinart since it's on sale at Canadian Tire as the viking are twice whatthe cuisinart is at. Maybe once I'm really goood and better at cakes, I'll purchase a viking! icon_smile.gif thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%