Decorating By adventuregal Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm by 808hedda

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc2010

Grocery store 9x13 in my area are actually 8x12 now. Look at their packaging.

Yep! "Half Sheets" are 11x15's instead of the 12x18's. That just ticks me off every time I see it, because all I can think about is a CC'er giving a customer a half-sheet price and the customer saying "but the store's half sheet is only...." when the store's half sheet is NOT A HALF SHEET!!!!! icon_mad.gif

(wow .... when you use the phrase "half sheet" that many times in a sentence, it starts to sound funny!)

Perhaps you're feeling only half full of sheet today! (hee hee hee) icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:57pm
post #32 of 48

I'd rather ice a square cake anyday! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:59pm
post #33 of 48

icon_lol.gif carmijok, you're hitting on all 8 today! Hysterical!!

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:26pm
post #34 of 48

I think it's perception. When most people think "sheet cake" they think plain white rectangle with shell border, buttercream roses, and a message piped on top. But we're supposed to be the creative ones. Why can't sheet cakes be "custom"? I say that they can! A few of my cakes in my pictures are indeed 2" sheet cakes. If they were 4' tall, I would hesitate to call them "sheets."

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #35 of 48

I charge the same price for sheet cakes as tiered cakes....causing many customers to give me a bit of dead air space after the sheet cake price quote, but darn it, I put the same amount of effort into every cake I make! I've found those that can't pay it don't and those that can do......and I definitely want those that can as my customers!!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Linda, after you slather all the icing on everywhere and are getting ready to smooth it out--take a bag of icing with just an open coupler or a big round tip on there and pipe a big fat line of icing up each corner--now take your straight edge and make one pass from corner to corner on each side. Perfectly straight corners. Fix the top edges. Fini.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I think I'll try this! Thanks!!

I like sheet cakes because they're like a big, smooth, blank canvas just waiting to be decorated. icon_biggrin.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

we charge more for square cakes too because it is more difficult to ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

I don't like making them because it's harder to filled and ice smoothly. I found it has an awkward shape. I prefer doing round because I think it's the easiest shape

Exactly! That's why God made ROUND turntables! Ha, ha!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #38 of 48

Well, God made rectangular turntable too. lol! i have the one from countrykitchen that is round on top and turn it over and it is rectangular for square's ,etc. So, He made us all one to do our favorites with. again lol

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregal

Wowzaaaa! I don't know anyone who would pay that when they can get one at the grocer for 20 bucks.

Exactly. So why bother offering them in the first place?

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #40 of 48

A lot of people think all cake is sqaure, squat, and just has interchangeable messages and different colored roses. Here's your chance to educate them otherwise. I wouldn't waste my time on a sheet cake if my life depended on it. Not saying that is everyone's opinion, attitude, situation, etc. There, that ought to curb anyone's need to interject with something sassy.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm
post #41 of 48

I think when most people think sheet cake, they think a rectangular single layer cake with no filling. Some buttercream design and a message.

I'd be more than happy to provide a rectangular cake, but I'm gonna torte that thing, add some fondant and pretty flowers. To me, then it could no longer qualify as a "sheet" cake. To me that's just a cake that happens to be a rectangle.

Cakeythings1961, I think it's funny you like how a sheet cake is a large blank canvas. To me it's TOO much of a large blank canvas. Maybe I just get too many people that say "We would like some balloons, flowers, streamers and confetti on it with the person's picture and the message 'Congratulations Suzy, We are so Proud of You, Good luck in Med School, Love, Mom and Dad.' We would like the color blue and a grad cap with a diploma." And then I'm standing there with a sheet cake that now seems too small, thinking "how the heck am I going to fit all that on there?"

Adecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adecakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 9:51pm
post #42 of 48

I personally charge $1.50 per person, to start and the price might go up depending on the filling they want (maybe is a fruit that is not in season), what they want as the covering (bc, rf, or whipped toping) and if they want flowers, (real flowers, bc flowers, or gp flowers) and it always works out. And if they don't agree with the price, they can go and buy a mass production cake, or something that has been sitting in the fridge for over a week, but I will not lower my price.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:22pm
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Well, God made rectangular turntable too. lol!

So, He made us all one to do our favorites with. again lol

Certainly! icon_biggrin.gif
It's great to have choices with your preferred shapes of turntables and cakes. thumbs_up.gif
Rounds are fasterI'd rather give a turntable a couple or few quick spins than to mess with turning corners!

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:20am
post #44 of 48

I don't do sheet cakes -only the big bakeries do those - but for the kids party cakes I do a 2inch , torted with one layer of BC and then decorated -and they get a 2inch square as its easier for them to hold it to eat and they feel they are getting more icing - it still cost the same - basically making a shorter but bigger cake so uses the same mix. The mums like that I am so thoughtful !!!

Teecakesandcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teecakesandcookies Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #45 of 48

Well I'm here in little ol Arkansas and before I started baking I gave a $ 100 bucks for a sheet cake that would feed 40 to 50 and had no problem paying for it because her cakes looked great and tasted even better so if you have those factors they will pay; had she not left the state I probably would not be baking now she was great!!! Prove yourself they will pay I am a newbie also I have always been a cook I'm learning how to make mine look good they taste great!!! If you bake it they will pay it icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #46 of 48

I try to make all kinds of cakes. What ever the client wants, that is what i try to do. I have never seen a perfect iced cake, unless you look at Sharon Zambito's. She makes b/c iced cakes look like fondant. Never have i seen anyone else do this on this site or any site i have been on. I will never be that good. But my clients are happy with what i do for them. They pay what i ask and then some. I like to ice round, square, etc. It is always a challenge for me. I will never give up trying to ice as good as Sharon, but hopefully that day will come. lol!!! There is no difference in icing a square cake than a rectangular. I don,t compare my work, if i do what everyone is calling a sheet cake to the walmart. I have never eaten one from the walmart . I decorate according to what the client says to put on there, whether it is some kind of kid game, etc. or any flowers. I always say look at Thanh Thanh site on c/c and see her beautiful cakes. She is another BEST in my book. So , we all make and decorate how we like. That is a great thing. We are all professionals and trying to do our best. That is how i feel about all my work.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

a sheet cake is only 2" high and yes can be found at local grocers and super centers. I can't compete with their price so i don't, i don't do sheet cakes. All of my cakes are 4" tall, i will do a rectangle cake, but it is priced the same as all of my other cakes b/c it's still the 4" tall cake, with filling and torted. I don't care what shape the cake is, it still cost the same to make it.

Finally! I was felling bad because I turned down an order that they wanted to feed 500 people with sheetcakes(pop warner football). I hate doing sheetcakes! People can get it at the grocery store and they want me to charge the same. Also if it feeds 500 then alot of people will start asking for sheetcakes. Blah! Sorry to hijack but leily do you ever do the method of say 3 tiers for a wedding and they cut the sheetcakes in the kitchen?

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #48 of 48

Forgot to mention that for $500 servings they wanted to pay $500.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%