First Time With Hi-Ratio

Decorating By bakerliz Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm by cheatize

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

I bought some Hi-Ratio shortening today and it's slightly yellow colored and has a bit of a funny smell to it. I've never used Hi-Ratio before so I guess my question is...Is it supposed to be like that or do I need a refund? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 6

Hi
Did you check the date on it? What brand is it? IMO I would think that all high ratio or even Crisco should be white. Also, if it has a funny smell to it, I would not use it. It is probably rancid. Do check the exp. date though.
HTH
Kathy

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 6

It doesn't even have an expiration date on it. Maybe that should have been my first clue icon_redface.gif I guess it's back to the store! Thanks

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 6

Good idea. I wouldn't trust it. Was it a store brand? I am asking because I was short on my high ratio, and Stop n Shop had Guaranteed Value Brand with trans fats in it. I looked at the date, and it was expired. I stuck with Crisco. I brought it to the attention of the store manager, and apparently they didn't care, because the same cans are there with the exp. date of 08/10! Can you imagine?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

I use hi-ratio all the time and I've never seen it yellow or have an odor to it at all. It simply smells clean, maybe a little like vegetable oil if I had to describe it. Sounds to me like you got some really OLD shortening.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 6

I've used Alpine and it was white- no yellow color to it at all. It smelled like shortening to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%