Making A Large Tier Taller...?

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:25am by Karen421

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cake for tomorrow and the bottom tier is a 14" cake. I think it looks squatty as a 4" tier like the other smaller tiers, and I'd like to make it a little taller using maybe 2 1/2 or 3 cakes as opposed to the standard 2- 2" cakes. If I do this, will I need to add supports within the cake, or will it be able to handle another cake on top of it, and then have supports for the other tiers?

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

If I do this, will I need to add supports within the cake, or will it be able to handle another cake on top of it, and then have supports for the other tiers?

Whether you do it or not, you need to add supports within the cake or it won't be able to handle another cake on top of it. All tiers that have another tier on top needs a support system--basic rule for every 4" or more of cake height.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Whether you do it or not, you need to add supports within the cake or it won't be able to handle another cake on top of it. All tiers that have another tier on top needs a support system--basic rule for every 4" or more of cake height.

I absolutely agree! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%