Clay Roller

Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm by Renoir

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

Would these work for fondant? Any suggestions if so?

I had saw some on Amazon and they looked like a decent solution to getting the fondant smooth and thin rather than using a rolling pin, but of course I have no real clue.

thanks!

4 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 5

You bet! I use one all the time. Mine is the Makins brand and I got it at Hobby Lobby.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 5

It makes rolling out fondant so much faster and easier! The only downside is, it's not big enough to roll out to cover a cake. (I think you need a "sheeter" for that?)

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

So what should I look for in one.

I'm seeing some on amazon for 20 to 40 bucks with good reviews, but all of the reviews are for clay or pasta. None on fondant.

I'm looking at ones that you would hand roll of course. No business or anything, but I would be interested in making things easier when I do them, especially if it is cheap.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Renoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renoir Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 5

I use one like this, though mine is slightly larger and has another roller attached for making thin and thick strips as well as the wide/flat:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Sculpture-and-Pottery/Pasta-Machine.htm

Downside is that its only about 6" wide and rolls no thicker than 1/8" but it's great for small stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%