Need Red Fondant

Decorating By rockincakes5 Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm by rockincakes5

rockincakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockincakes5 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 21

I am making a Vegas B-day cake and need to color fondant red. All i can get is a horrible pink color. I make my own MM fondant and need some tips on what to do...Thanks!

20 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 21

Gel color works best to color fondant or gumpaste. I've found that you still have to use quite a bit to get a brilliant red.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 21

You'll need a lot of red colour.
I personally just buy premade red, cause I find that is the only way to get a really vibrant red colour.

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 21

I wish the secret would be revealed on how the blacks and reds are made one day. lol

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 21

I had the same problem last weekend, and no matter how much gel I added (i was using Wilton's no taste red), I couldn't get anything but a dark mauve. I ended up having to buy a 2lb tub of red Fondarific. If I ever need red fondant again, I won't try to color it myself. I just couldn't get the color right.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 21

and you look like you committed murder cause of the red colour on your hands......... icon_mad.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Red is hard to get out of skin. Learned that the hard way....... icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockincakes5 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 21

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We don't have many "cake supply" places around so I haven't been able to find red fondant. I may just have to make do with the color I have. Thanks again.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 21

rockincakes5, read on that link for sugarsweet blogs. She makes red fondant, as red as you can see it there, with strawberry jello and the red color. You can get it right. It's MMF.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 21

I buy mine premade too.

For this case, I'd suggest you get it as red as you can then you can paint it the rest of the way. If you have an airbrush, it would be great for this.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 21

i use wilton red-red and no-taste red.....and it always turn out red for me. but since i saw the shop sells red fondant, i thought it would be easier if i just buy them and save time

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks imaginethatnj!

I just made red mmf last night using the Wilton Red Candy Melts and Americolor Super Red...Loved the color!

I took step by step photos that I will post on my blog soon but here is a photo's.

I didn't need a full batch of mmf so I used 10 oz mini marshmallows to 1/2 cup red candy melts, and 1/3 tsp of the Super Red.

AngelFood4 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4

I took step by step photos that I will post on my blog soon but here is a photo's.

Ahh...won't let me post a photo...I'll put it up on my blog now.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 21

Hi Angela! I was waiting for your test with the Wilton Red Candy Melts.

Thanks for showing up here! It's always great to know how to get those reds.

I'll check out your blog as soon as I can!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 21

I have made red many times with very few problems if any. You really need Americolor super red (you can buy online several places) and yes, you have to use a bit of it but not as much as with others. You can add tylose to the fondant if it seems like it has gotten too soft.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 21

Thank you, Angela. Pretty amazing red. I'm going to try that.

Rockingcakes5, maybe for next time, here's the link:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

I just made this with Raspberry jello and 3/4 of a bottle of Americolor. I have BEAUTIFUL red fondant. I know you have to let it sit overnight for the color to enrich, as well as for the sugar in the jello to dissolve. It's kind of grainy right now. Couldn't use this right away. Good luck!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Thank you, Angela. Pretty amazing red. I'm going to try that.

Rockingcakes5, maybe for next time, here's the link:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Mmmm...I'm sure that tastes great. thumbs_up.gif

AngelFood4 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 21

[quote="Scarlets-Cakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I just made this with Raspberry jello and 3/4 of a bottle of Americolor. I have BEAUTIFUL red fondant. I know you have to let it sit overnight for the color to enrich, as well as for the sugar in the jello to dissolve. It's kind of grainy right now. Couldn't use this right away. Good luck!

Let me know how it turns out. I stir my jello into the melted marshmallows until dissolved. I also found that using generic jello over the JELL-O brand did not melt very well and the graininess stayed even after resting for a couple days.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 21

AngelFood4: You said "a couple of days". That makes me nervous. I need to use it tomrrow. I have some red candy melts in the freezer, so I guess I can make some that way if it doesn't look like it's going to work. Thank you for your recipes. I love that others are willing to jump in there and try something out for the rest of us! icon_biggrin.gif

rockincakes5 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks so much for the posts and ideas. Angela THANK YOU!!! I also love the jello idea! Can't wait to see how these turn out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%