I, Too, Have An Upset Customer But I'm Not At Fault Here!

Business By kelleyinco Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm by CrescentMoon

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:59pm
post #31 of 45

Not to make too light of this, (as I know how frustrating it must be), but if these people are so bent out of shape over whether the cobwebs are black or dusty white, they have far more problems ahead than their wedding cake. Surprised they even NOTICED or CARED at the wedding. Wasn't anything else going on that day to distract them? No marriage will survive either party being so darn picky! Priorities, priorities, priorities....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

Not to make too light of this, (as I know how frustrating it must be), but if these people are so bent out of shape over whether the cobwebs are black or dusty white, they have far more problems ahead than their wedding cake. Surprised they even NOTICED or CARED at the wedding. Wasn't anything else going on that day to distract them? No marriage will survive either party being so darn picky! Priorities, priorities, priorities....

They could be doing the same thing to every other vendor they hired, who knows? Some people are just like that.

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm
post #33 of 45

I am so sorry this happened to you. I tried to see the cake but can't from work and my phone won't recognize your page to the cake. I'm sure it's beautiful and they are NUTS!

kelleyinco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyinco Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #34 of 45

I can't tell you how much all of your input has helped lighten my mood! Thank you!

To the person who asked if I sketch--- always! I always draw a little cake sketch on both my paperwork and theirs, and it is colored in. The stretchy spiderwebs were sketched in, but she knew I was unfamiliar with the Sugarveil and would use royal if needed. I had some webs going from one tier to the next, and some just draped over the edges... it was nothing specific and she kept stating that she trusted me and to make them however I thought they'd look good.

I really do think she yapped to everyone about them being black and now she's embarrassed (which is why HE is emailing and not her) and he's either buying her b.s. or they are both evilicon_smile.gif

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:41pm
post #35 of 45

If they want something specific, they need to let you know! Stick to your guns and say no refund! Did they not eat the cake or get all the customary photos because it didn't have black webs? I don't think so!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:44pm
post #36 of 45

The proof is on your side. The worst they could do is file a small claims...which they would lose because they have nothing to stand on. And don't worry about a bad review from them. Chances are you wouldn't want the friends of these people coming to you anyway. Be proud of what you did, stand firm and do NOT cave to a refund. I wonder what other vendors they're trying to scam out of money? I personally think black would have been very cartoon-y and childish for a wedding cake. Your work speaks for itself...and in the long term that is what will win out. thumbs_up.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #37 of 45

No refund at all. They ate the cake, didn't specify black in the contract. And if they are having other "baker" friends critiquing the cake I would suggest to them that they should have had them make the cake. LOL. They are going to talk bad no matter what...so screw em and move on.

kelleyinco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyinco Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

No refund at all. They ate the cake, didn't specify black in the contract. And if they are having other "baker" friends critiquing the cake I would suggest to them that they should have had them make the cake. LOL. They are going to talk bad no matter what...so screw em and move on.

I like your styleicon_smile.gif I have had a quiet day, with no news from them, despite his last email that their paperwork was being scanned and sent to them so that "we could clear this up quickly". Either it doesn't say "black" or there busily trying to figure out my handwriting.
So tonight I had a meeting and I took a pic on my phone of their paperwork... how sad that I feel like I have to do this!

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #39 of 45

I'm guessing someone has buyers remorse after getting their wedding bills and they want to see if they can make some money back. I've seen it quite often with brides and grooms that want to cut corners after the wedding is finished and they realize how much they've spent.

NO REFUND! Did they eat it? Of course, the bride gave you artistic control and nothing was ever said about the webs being black. She wanted the old and dusty look and you provided.

I would simply respond with an email stating that you have the original contract and black cobwebs were not specified. Light it up with sugary sweet politeness and state, "I'm sorry that you feel I misunderstood your request, but I was told (insert contract wording here for the spiderwebs). We do not offer refunds on consumed cakes. I believe we discussed that I had not worked with this material before and that I would not charge for my time on the spiderwebs. As it turned out the spiderwebs did break on the way to the venue and I remade them on site without extra charge. If the bride is unhappy please have her contact me directly to speak with me in the future. It appears that you had a gorgeous wedding and I wish you nothing but the best for your future together. Sincerely ...

Any future responses you receive, ignore them. Keep them in a file with their other items but truly the guy is full of empty threats. If he does feel the need to bash your cakes online - post a comment stating what you have here and a link to the photos.

It's hard to have someone throwing threats at you, but I bet you it's empty threats and they are just trying to recoup some costs to pay the bills.

The cake was beautiful, you did as they asked and it's over. Don't cave and give them a refund.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:59pm
post #40 of 45

Some people need to get lives. It's a freaking CAKE. What the heck difference does it make? All over this country, people are going to bed hungry. Perspective!

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #41 of 45

overall i think the cake is a 'nice' elegant take on a 'monsterous' wedding cake! However, reading this post and imagining the cake and then when I saw it, I must say it is not what I imagined! I did envision a more dusty (which you did say is hard to see because of the flash) look maybe with someairbrushed gray and cobwebs...? I dont know, just not what I envisioned, so maybe her vision just wasn't there and she was disappointed and Mr...Groom....knight on a white horse is telling her he will make it better. That is really the scary part to me about wedding cakes is....it has to be GREAT! I am always afraid of disappointing the bride even if I have done what she asked.....the last wedding cake I did was purple...when I left the reception I said I would never do another wedding cake again....lol. the stress is not worth it to me...and my skills just aren't up to that speed yet. I know that if the bride had called me and said the cake wasnt what they wanted, I would have felt bad as well....even if it wasn't my fault. I probably would cave and offer something just to make myself feel better, but that is not me and not what I am suggesting you should do. Especially if you have a contract. its a fine lone of pleasing a customer or getting rid of a non-appreciative pest. good luck and God bless!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #42 of 45

She can hardly speak about the cake because of the cobwebs? It's not like she ordered a cherry blossom cake and you showed up with a 'dusty' cobweb cake (Which I think is lovely, by the way).

If the black meant that much to them, it definitely would have come up in conversation.

No refund, keep smiling, and end communication with them.

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #43 of 45

Considering they are on the other side of the country, as soon as they produce the contract without a mention of black spiderwebs, I would kindly reply with "there is nothing in the contract specifically stating the spiderwebs color. I consider this matter closed. Thank you again for your business."

Walk away and focus on your next customers...ones in your area who will recommend you to other locals...future customers. icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixphillips

Considering they are on the other side of the country, as soon as they produce the contract without a mention of black spiderwebs, I would kindly reply with "there is nothing in the contract specifically stating the spiderwebs color. I consider this matter closed. Thank you again for your business."

I agree, except there is no need to say "I consider this matter closed", IMHO it is unnecessarily antagonistic.

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Some people need to get lives. It's a freaking CAKE. What the heck difference does it make? All over this country, people are going to bed hungry. Perspective!

Well said! It is a beautiful cake, but it is just a cake. People like this need to get a clue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%