Emulsions Vs. Extracts

Decorating By Hammonds Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 2:01pm by Hammonds

Hammonds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hammonds Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 11

Just curious about emulsions... I have never used them before. Do you use them exactly like you use extracts? Are they better. I noticed that Hobby Lobby has them now. Do you use them in your recipes in place of the extract? Which flavor is the best and how do you use them in your recipes? I saw that you can purchase Almond. Would this be better in the WASC and in buttercream? Has anyon e used the Princess flavor in buttercream? Thanks!

10 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 11

from their site...

Quote:
Quote:

What is a baking "emulsion"?
Emulsions are water-based, alcohol-free alternatives to extracts. Instead of using alcohol, the flavor is micro encapsulated in natural stabilizers and suspended in water. The encapsulation enables the flavor to not lose its integrity when exposed to high heat.
Which means....Use baking emulsions instead of extracts with better results!

When it comes to flavoring, professional bakers almost exclusively use emulsions over alcohol-based extracts.
Emulsions have a more potent, robust flavor.
Won't "bake-out" when exposed to heat
Alcohol free
Gluten Free

Quote:
Quote:

Princess Cake and Cookie baking emulsion has a light, nutty taste accented with undertones of citrus and rich vanilla. Use it wherever you want to impart a creamy flavor. Delicious as a flavoring for butter cream frosting.
Flavor combination: Vanilla + Almond + Lemon

I've never used the Princess, I have used the Butter-Vanilla, Buttery Sweet Dough & the Coconut. I just use as it says on the bottle, when baking use as your recipe directs. When not baking or cooking (as in buttercream) use slightly less then directed.

Hammonds Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Daltonam for your reply. I will try it out!

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 11

I use 1 tsp almond emulsion in WASC, it's very potent. Haven't tried any other flavors, but looking forward to trying some.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

I LUV the princess cake and cookie emulsion. I use it in my MMF, BC and recently in my NFSC. It is a wonderful flavor. I have not found anyone that doesn't like it...

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 11

I love the butter vanilla emulsion and use it in buttercream, cookies and many cakes. I also use the princess for cookies and sometimes buttercream, it depends what mood I am in!

I have just purchased the almond but have not tried it yet.

Hammonds Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 11

Can someone tell me what the NFSC stands for? Cakesrock mentioned it. Thanks!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

No Fail Sugar Cookies

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

No Fail Sugar Cookie

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 11

I have used both the almond and princess emulsions in my BC (not at same time) with great results.

Hammonds Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks all for sharing your ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%