Cupcakes With Fondant Decor - Drying Out Or Soggy Decor?

Baking By MariaLovesCakes Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm by Kiddiekakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I have noticed packaging for cupcakes with decorations and am wondering about a couple of things:

Cupcakes not completely covered with icing and with fondant decorations:
How to keep the cupcake from drying out and the deocorations in fondant from getting soft?

If they are in an air tight container, it will stay moist, but the fondant decor will get soft and droppy.

I have noticed cupcakes displayed where they are not completey covered so I wonder if they dry up a bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

The only time my fondant decorations got soggy and droopy was when I took the cupcakes out of the freezer and stuck dried fondant sticks/swirls down into the semi-thawed cupcake..The condensation caused the fondant to soften and droop.However...It does not do this if you set the fondant decoration ontop only.As for keeping the edges of the cupcake from drying out...I have yet to figure that out too but I think if they are kept in a sealed box that helps alot.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

The only time my fondant decorations got soggy and droopy was when I took the cupcakes out of the freezer and stuck dried fondant sticks/swirls down into the semi-thawed cupcake..The condensation caused the fondant to soften and droop.However...It does not do this if you set the fondant decoration ontop only.As for keeping the edges of the cupcake from drying out...I have yet to figure that out too but I think if they are kept in a sealed box that helps alot.

Thank you, kiddie. I have problems in the past where I have put fondant decorations on the top and then place the cakes in the air tight container and when I go check them, they are all soft. icon_sad.gif

I guess I can just leave a tiny part uncovered by icing and then place them in special boxes or cotainers that are not air tight.

I am planning on making cupcakes and placing one or two fall colored leafes on top made of fondant.

We'll see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 4

They key is that your decorations are dry.I never decorate a cake and add soft fondant to it unless it is circles etc to the sides of a cake.I always make the decorations in advance and let them dry hard..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%