Rkt Questions

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make 4 model airplanes out of rice krispie treats. The same week I have to make a big cake shaped like a plane. This is going to take a lot of work so I was wondering if I can make the rkt's first and then freeze them. Has anyone done this, do they get stale? Do they get moisture in them when they thaw? I need to cover them in fondant so would I wait till they are thawed before doing this or can I cover them and freeze them like that? Lots of questions!!

5 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 6

I would also like to know the answer to your question as I also have to make a RKT model for the 27th November and have other orders as well. So, was wondering if I made it ahead of time if anything would happen to it.
Hope someone can answer your question!!

LaurensCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurensCreations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 6

I just made a Wolverine hand and had the same question, I googled it and read that freezing RKT's makes them alittle more moist and chewy...if you don't plan to eat them I'm sure it would be fine... I wanted my "hand" to be completely edible and yummy so I did not freeze it, I simply covered it in candy clay and then put it in a zip bag and sat it in a cool dark place. I finished the hand on Thursday and the party was Saturday...it was Yum-a-licious! according to the birthday boy (4)

EDIT: I tried to add a photo, but it wouldn't let me icon_cry.gif

bluejeannes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

thanks!
So how far ahead of time would I be able to make them if I just wrap them with saran? Would I cover them in fondant too?

LaurensCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurensCreations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 6

I covered my RKT hand, right after I made it because I wanted it to be "fresh" and not get stale. The very bottom of the wrist was left uncovered, for standing. I just sliced off a super thin layer and threw it away and then started slicing the clay covered area for the children (and adults, lol, everyone ate some of Wolverine's Hand) As I said before, I did mine 3 days in advance and it was fresh. I'm not sure I would go any further than that. I'm sure others may have a different opinion, but 3 days worked out for me. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

bluejeannes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 6

eeks, Im think like 2 weeks ahead of time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%