Problems With Shortening Based Bc.

Baking By BakingGirl Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 12:41am by sugarshack

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 16

I normally use IMBC for my cakes but last night I made a batch of SugarShack's shortening based BC. I had been watching her video about smoothing BC so I figured I should start out using the same type of BC as her when making an attempt at using her smoothing method.

I don't have a clue where I went wrong, but my BC did not turn out at all like it should. It feels grainy, like there is sand in it, so it was a nightmare to use. I tried to pipe roses but that did not work at all, they ended up looking like frilly carnations instead, so had to throw them out.

I did not have access to Hi-Ratio shortening so I used Crisco, but would that be the difference between success and failure? I certainly beat it long enough so I don't think that is the problem. I had the bowl full to the top so it did not have air in it, it was just the texture that was off.

Any ideas?

15 replies
diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 16

I find that using the HR shortening makes all the difference in the world....and did you sift the ps? Its really important to use a high quality brand...C&H or Dominos.
Cathy

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 16

Just a question: Does Shortening based BC mean you don't use any butter?

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 16

I tried Sugarshack's recipe using hi-ratio shortening and C&H powdered sugar, which produced the similar grainy messy results as yours. So the problem might not lie with the sugar or shortening, but with the coffee creamer. I ended up using Serious Cakes's recipe, which everyone I know loves.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 16

Dominos powder sugar is the only one I use because the others I have used were grainy.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre

I tried Sugarshack's recipe using hi-ratio shortening and C&H powdered sugar, which produced the similar grainy messy results as yours. So the problem might not lie with the sugar or shortening, but with the coffee creamer. I ended up using Serious Cakes's recipe, which everyone I know loves.

Yes! Serious Cake's BC is very yummy....most people love the extra-buttery flavor! But I use Sugar Shack's recipe when I need something that will hold up in the heat, or when I need a dairy-free icing for family members with allergies.

Neither recipe has turned out grainy for me. I use C & H or Domino's cane sugar--NOT a generic. I usually use hi-ratio and I mix my icings using Sugar Shack's method of "filling the mixing bowl," then letting it mix/beat for a long time, which really improves the texture.

But even a "grainy" icing should not be difficult to smooth onto the cake....the grainy texture would only noticeable when eaten. Am I misunderstanding the problem you were having, Baking Girl???

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 16

yes, the Crsico is the problem. Crisco does not have trans fats in it and makes a mess of icing. Use a shortening that has trans fats in it. HTH!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I tried to pipe roses but that did not work at all, they ended up looking like frilly carnations instead, so had to throw them out.

When your roses have jagged edges it's usually because the icing is too stiff (too much PS), or too dry (not enough liquid). Try making your BC a thick/stiff consistency, yet still creamy.

BakingGirl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I need to either adapt Sugarshack's method to my beloved IMBC, or get my hands on some trans fat shortening.

Re the roses, I did try to loosen the consistency of the icing to no avail, and I made sure I used good pressure - but it just did not make any difference. I'll chalk this up to a bad batch of BC and try again when I have the ingredients I need.

Sugarshack, I love your DVDs, you explain everything so well! You definitively have a gift for teaching as well as for cake decorating. I made a cake a couple of weeks ago with the most beautiful bow on it, courtesy of your DVD. Everyone at the party was amazed it was not real fabric, it looked so real.

sugarshack Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you baking girl!

You should be able to find store brands of shortening with trans fats, check your local grocery and just look at the nutritonal lable.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:

Re the roses, I did try to loosen the consistency of the icing to no avail, and I made sure I used good pressure - but it just did not make any difference. I'll chalk this up to a bad batch of BC and try again when I have the ingredients I need.

No special ingredients are needed if the BC is stiff enough (which it sounds like yours is). What size rose tip are you using? If it's tip 103 or 104, you might need to open it up more. I use tip 124it's big enough to squeeze out enough icing without much pressure, and not so small that it would clog or cause the petals to curl or break.

BakingGirl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 16

I used the 104 which I find works great for my IMBC roses. Next time I use a powdered sugar BC I will try again with a bigger and more open tip to see if it makes a difference. Now I just need to find me some trans fat! Not easy to come by these days.

Just out of curiosity, how does this recipe work with butter instead of shortening?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how does this recipe work with butter instead of shortening?

You mean SugarShack's recipe? I've tried using 2 c. butter & 3 c. hi ratio...it worked just fine and everybody liked the flavor. I have not tried it with more butter than that.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 16

I do the same IF I have to use Crisco and I havent' since I 've found high ratio, I used half Crisco and half of a cheaper shortening from Aldi's that has a trans fat in it. That's why I quit using Crisco when they changed to 0 trans fat.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 16

cakeythings1961: I don't think you read my post thoroughly. I used only C&H CANE SUGAR and only store brand HIGH-RATIO SHORTENING for
Sharon's recipe. Yes, I followed the recipe to the letter, filling the bowl above the beater and beating the mixture to DEATH. And yet, I had gritty results.
[/b]

sugarshack Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:41am
post #16 of 16

I don't think there is such a thing as store brand hi ratio. Hi ratio is a commercial product and only sold at food wholesalers and bakery supply.

??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%