First Time Poster Needs Help!

Decorating By doc_farms Updated 5 Sep 2005 , 3:57am by piklpop2

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 6:08am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone. I have to say I have been coming to this site for a long time now, and I'm so excited to finally have a reason to post icon_lol.gif ! I am doing an Incredibles cake for my sons 3yr birthday. I have finally decided to do a sheet cake to be the street and then do the Omnidroid. I'm thinking that I could use fondant (which I've never used before) and make the street look broken up a little bit. And then use little figurines of the Incredibles to be fighting the Omnidroid. So... I am looking for ANY ideas from everyone. I have only made three other cakes that are more than just a sheet cake. I'm so excited. I am going to do a practice cake this week. I'm not really sure how to go about stacking the round cake on top of the sheet cake. Definitely would like to know that icon_rolleyes.gif ! I'm thinking about playing around with the fondant to do the tenicals as well. I also was thinking about doing spun sugar to do a force field around Violet. Is it difficult to color that stuff? Obviously you can tell that I am a complete beginner novice. I am sure hoping that you guys can give me some direction, I could sure use it thumbs_up.gif !!!

4 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 6:21am
post #2 of 5

Ok doc_farms, I was going to bed, but I'll stay with you for a minute. The sheet cake with the fondant street sounds great, spun sugar I've never tried, but I'm sure there are directions on here. I'm assuming you are using the sportsball pan for the Omnidroid? If you are here's what you do. This will be a heavy cake so you'll need to have it on some sort of wood board or whatever. Tape about 3 cardboard boards to this. Cover with foil or whatever you use. Put sheet cake on, decorate. Cut a round cardboard, with a dowel sized hole in the center and put on cake, take it off and place dowels in the cake (probably 4) and cut them level with sheet cake. Glue together 2 halves of ball with icing. Run a sharpened dowel through the center of the cake with the center icing being horizontal. put dowel through the hole and let cake rest on doweled up sheet cake. Get a hammer a whack that dowel into the layers of cardboard. Cut off excess with pruners. Decorate Omnidroid. You can probably crumbcoat the ball before you put it on the sheet cake, will get a little messed up with your hands on it. TO decorate the ball you can either star fill-in, or ice with a round tip to get it onto the ball, and then smooth with a small spatula or Viva paper towels. Fondant arms sound cool, use lollipop sticks to insert into ball!
I hope this helps, maybe others will have better pointers. This is how I'd do it!

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 5

Hi doc_farms amd welcome! I did one similar to what you are asking for I think. Used the system of dowels like tasty cakes recommends. You can see the finished bowling ball cake in my photos. Good luck with it! Gil

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you tastycakes so much for the detailed response. It's nice to know that I wasn't the only insane person up so late on the web site icon_confused.gif . That gives me such a better idea of where to start. I was also curious. Do you think that covering the ball in fondant is doable? Or would it be too heavy or difficult?
Piklpop2, that is pretty much the set up of the cake I want to do. How difficult was it to get it to sit up there fine. Do you have any tips that you could give me? icon_lol.gif

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5

OK I used the dowels and cake board pretty much as described by tastycakes. I used the dowel down thru the center as well as a couple of them lower in the ball and angled to keep it from trying to roll. It was done with BC and the sort of rough look (if you noticed) was due to trying poured fondant which was too warm. It was melting my BC. I had to haul it 25 miles to the party site and my AC happened to be out. By the time I got there the black airbrushed icing was beginning to soften and flow. I veerry carefully supported the ball on a spatula in order to lower it onto the cake. That was the trickiest part I guess. If I can offer any other assistance send me a PM and I'll try to help. Gil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%