Do You Downplay How Time Consuming Caking Is?

Decorating By tsal Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm by Unlimited

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #31 of 60

Thank you Indydebi! It's a mind-blowing yet delightfully mind-opening concept for me. I usually only have time to bake when my kiddos are in bed, so anything to help effienciency is a heaven-sent!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:02pm
post #32 of 60

traci, just be sure to put the smaller pans at the front of the oven as these will probably come out a few minutes before the larger pans. (a simple idea, but I wont' admit how I figured that one out! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif )

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #33 of 60

indydebi, I am assuming you use both racks when you do this. Do you change the cakes from one rack to the other about half way through? Or do the cakes bake the same with some on the upper and some on the lower. I have only baked 2 at a time because I didn't think it would work using both racks. This would be a great time saver if I can make it work.

indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #34 of 60

I can fit two 6" pans and two 8" pans on one rack.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I charge alot for my cakes - and those dollars pay for my time...as well as every other aspect of the cake.
Plus, no one else works on my cakes except me - i allow at least 3 days and that doesn't include decoratins made a week or two in advance.

When the day comes that i put a cake together in 3 hours is the day i should hang up my apron.
Bluehue

Those that can put together a cake in less than 3 hours are able to get more of those dollars paying them for their time because they're off making more cakes. If they're more productive, they aren't limiting themselves to only one cake every three days or so. They don't hang up their apron, they leave it on for finishing the rest of the day.

I can work on 2 cakes and 275 cupcake decorations in those 3 days....i might complete one cake but have my decorations all ready to go - packed away in tissue paper for the next order in a Months time.

I enjoy all there is to creating my cakes - and the prices i charge allow me to take my time.....including stepping back and noticing the finer detail
I don't have to not want to complete a cake in 3 hours.

At the moment- i am attaching hand rolled pearls to a jet black cake - and altho it has taken me 4 hours so far- i don't have any unwanted luster dust floating over my jet black cake.... each pearl is being attached with a dab of sugar syrup - and then held in place untill secure.

Its now 4.30am and i still haven't hung up my apron.....ohhh look the sun is coming up - icon_lol.gif

From the time i woke this morninig i have spent 11 hours *caking*
But its not a race and for me and its not about others can do more than me or visa a versa - its about creating a cake my customer wants.

When doing a fondant cake - one should allow certain areas to firm up/set up before doing the next stage anyway...otherwise the sharpness and clean lines can be lost.

Indy -
I choose not to do a cake in 3 hours -
I allow at least 6 hours after filling my cakes for them to settle before i even think of covering them...then allow another 4 hours for the fondant to firm before attaching my decorations...

I structer my diary accordingly....
As i said above - i have 3 projects on the go at any one time - my prices allow me not to have to do more than that.

House work
I spend at least 5 hours a day doing house work - it takes me 3 hours to fully vac my home - (under all beds) and then another hour to wash all floors....and mop skirting boards.
I have minimum 8-9 hours of ironing a week - a garden to tend too and breakfast and evening meals prepped and cooked every day.

I multi task - and it works for me...whether it be caking - housework or gardening.

I guess my point is - one can do many things in their day and night - its just that i do it my way whilst others do it their way - doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong.... ..............but i still refuse to put a fondant cake together from wo to go in 3 hours.

And now......its back to the pearls and black fondant cake i go.... icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:40pm
post #36 of 60

Thanks, indydebi, that helps.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:13pm
post #37 of 60

I think it's all how you look at time. I did a 2 tier fondant cake with gumpaste flowers on it last week and I said it took me 5 hours total. But not from the first egg crack to the last flower being applied. It was carrot cake, so I had to grate carrots, make the batter, put it into the 4 pans and they all baked at once, during that time I cleaned the kitchen and made the buttercream to fill it. Covered the buttercream, pulled the cakes out and let them cool. 1 hour.

Then I stopped working on cakes and moved to a different area of life. The next day, I torted and filled, took me like 20 minutes, I wrapped them up and put a weight on top, walked away. Total I spent about 30 minutes. I know this because it was right before I picked my kids up from school, had the counters wiped up and everything.

That night I spent an hour and a half making gumpaste flowers. Left them to dry

The next day I trimmed the cakes and crumb coated, tossed them in the freezer and started rolling my fondant, pulled them out and had them both covered and stacked. Took 1 hour. Then I spent another hour that evening rolling vines and attaching them, making chocolate leaves and attaching the flowers. 5 hours total, over 3 days. There is no way that from start to finish I could do this cake in 5 hours, the stages have to dry and cool and all of that, but I don't considering myself "working on the cake" in that time either...

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #38 of 60

Since I've received another PM about how to remove the rose/where I put the rose on my "How to make BC roses on a stick" video, here's the link to the thread with all the info (hope you like reading)!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....ml#6487080

The link should pull up page 2 (feel free to read page 1 as well, but expect to see a lot of double posts because CC had lots of problems during that week.) Also, page 1 won't show my photos because they deleted them, so I had to reload them elsewhere and repost it all again.

I hope you enjoy it!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Since I've received another PM about how to remove the rose/where I put the rose on my "How to make BC roses on a stick" video, here's the link to the thread with all the info (hope you like reading)!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....ml#6487080

The link should pull up page 2 (feel free to read page 1 as well, but expect to see a lot of double posts because CC had lots of problems during that week.) Also, page 1 won't show my photos because they deleted them, so I had to reload them elsewhere and repost it all again.

I hope you enjoy it!

Unlimited, your link under your posts is what inspired me to try the roses on a stick. However, I just tried your link above and get "Error". I searched for the post your were talking about and got this link that works:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=642606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rose&&start=0

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:13pm
post #40 of 60

Bluehue, I am in awe of your wonderful housework schedule!!! icon_eek.gif Vacuuming every day is something I could only dream of in my craziest drunken stupor icon_wink.gif. The bathrooms and the kitchen are regularly cleaned with vehemence, and the kids' room is always tidied and elements of it are constantly being washed, but that's about all I can say for regimented cleaning in my house icon_smile.gif. The vacuuming, dusting, and baseboards are left to their own devices except for every other week or so icon_wink.gif.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Bluehue, I am in awe of your wonderful housework schedule!!! icon_eek.gif Vacuuming every day is something I could only dream of in my craziest drunken stupor icon_wink.gif. The bathrooms and the kitchen are regularly cleaned with vehemence, and the kids' room is always tidied and elements of it are constantly being washed, but that's about all I can say for regimented cleaning in my house icon_smile.gif. The vacuuming, dusting, and baseboards are left to their own devices except for every other week or so icon_wink.gif.

She totally wore me out with all that--dude, she irons her kitchen towels.

<faint>

<thud>

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:01am
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyrconnect

indydebi, I am assuming you use both racks when you do this. Do you change the cakes from one rack to the other about half way through? Or do the cakes bake the same with some on the upper and some on the lower. I have only baked 2 at a time because I didn't think it would work using both racks. This would be a great time saver if I can make it work.

I bought an extra oven rack and can fit three in my oven, so I can put three racks full of pans in there at once. I can bake off three tiered cakes in about 5-6 hours depending on whether they're three or four tiers.

I find that the ones on the top rack bake flatter than the bottom ones, so the heat is obviously lower in the top of the oven. I either switch the pans around by moving the half-baked icon_rolleyes.gif ones around when I put new pans in, or I just leave them where they are and let them bake flatter and have less to deal with when it's time to level them. I do turn the heat up some, so that when I'm opening and closing the oven door the temp probably stays at around 340-350 degrees even though I have it set at 365.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #43 of 60

And to answer the original question, When people ask how long it takes I tell them it varies depending on the cake design, but that this is my full-time job. icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:57am
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Unlimited, your link under your posts is what inspired me to try the roses on a stick. However, I just tried your link above and get "Error". I searched for the post your were talking about and got this link that works:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=642606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rose&&start=0

Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:52am
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

<faint>

<thud>

I am laughing hysterically, wheezing and snorting at your <faint> <thud> !!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:09am
post #46 of 60

BlueHue, I'll tradeja....I'll take on one of your cakes (and I'll even try to do it perfect!) if you come clean my house!

haha....

Indy I gotta get me one of those merry maids you were talking about....

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:56am
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm not sure how slowing down my capacity to produce anything ... ..... detracts from one's skill ability.

Very well said! If you've got crazy mad skills, you use them! There's no need to slow down if the quality/end result is the same either way--that's what professionals do! They use their trade secrets, professional tools, and better equipment to be more efficient, and their experience to be more productive.

You certainly wouldn't be jealous that Merry-Maids can clean a house WAY faster than you, so I wonder why some people imply that speed is a bad thing as long as the end result is a quality, professional job.

You aren't paying for the time it takes, you're paying for the job! If I fertilized my front yard with a drop spreader--I'd need to walk every path that it covers. If I hired a professional to fertilize with a motorized broadcast spreader--they'd have it finished with one or two passes. The same thing applies for brain surgery--get in there and get it done... I don't want to pay for how many actual minutes I'm opened up, just do the job--don't slow down--and charge accordingly! If I thought the job would be better if done slower, I'd hire the lawn care tech as a full-time gardener and pay the brain surgeon to only work on me for the entire day.

It bothers me that there's a "keep it to yourself" attitude towards productive people. If it bothers them, I don't understand why they'd join a "sharing" site because they might stumble upon a time-saving tip. (I don't share several things for this reason, and I'm surprised to see that others continue to share when it's not always appreciated.) I don't see why everyone wouldn't be open and receptive to a time-saving structure or method, if, for no other reason, it frees up some time for yourself or your family. JMHO.

Back on topic... Nope, there's no need to downplay or no need to imply it takes longer either--it is what it is.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:00am
post #48 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

<faint>

<thud>

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:31am
post #49 of 60

It takes me a couple of hours to do a cake from start to finish. I am not rushing to crank 'em out, but I do practice all the time to get better.

(For Decorator Unlimited) ~ I love your roses! Though I've seen it done, I have never tried making them on a dowel tip. Gonna practice it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:24am
post #50 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

<faint>

<thud>

So do I - but I don't spend 5 hours a day doing housework, life is too short for that! Although it might have something to do with the fact I work part-time as a housekeeper. I can clean someone elses house WAY quicker than I can do my own, mainly because I don't have other distractions (the PC, TV etc) lol! So, after spending a few hours doing someone elses home, the last thing I want to do is my own. Monday is my whole house cleaning day (tidying, dusting, hoovering mopping, kitchen & bathroom clean etc), the only extra stuff I do beyond that during the week is a little maintainence hoovering, daily wiping down of the kitchen counters & sink. Laundry is done as needed. Sundays are ironing days and I spend 6-8 hours a week doing that, and I'm quick at ironing! Cleaning in my house is like shovelling snow whilst it's still snowing, so I don't kill myself doing it as it's so pointless and unappreciated.

indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:36am
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Cleaning in my house is like shovelling snow whilst it's still snowing,

Oh that's priceless! icon_lol.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:57am
post #52 of 60

I was always so discouraged at how long it took me to do a cake, and then all of a sudden you learn and it get so much easier, especially when you have great instructors here at CC! Anyone who is new to this, be patient!

When my kids were little I used to tell my x "cleaning around here is like emptying the titanic with a dixie cup". icon_smile.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:16am
post #53 of 60

I don't have a ton of cakes under my belt, but for instance, yesterday, I baked two 8" and 6" layers, made 2 batches of SMBC, baked torted, filled, crumbcoated, then covered the tiers in fondant. I also made appliques, a gumpaste shoe, then stacked the cakes and added finishing touches (pearl border, tappit letters etc). Oh, and I baked 48 mini cupcakes.

I started at 9a.m. and finished at midnight. Dh thinks I'm slow and took the kids out from 9-5 yesterday because he wanted me to 'finish everything during the day'. Needless to say, I was then stressed about not meeting 'his' deadline that he considered enough time to get it all done ("come on, I'm giving you the *whole* day without the kids"). When they got home, I had just covered the tiers in fondant. I finished everything by midnight except frosting the cupcakes (I'm doing those this morning). He thinks that I take too long to possibly make any money - I'm not in business but am/was entertaining the idea. I'm not sure if I should be discouraged at my speed or not.

indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:25am
post #54 of 60

tsal, you probably "wasted" time stopping for lunch and taking some pee breaks! Shame on you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:46pm
post #55 of 60

But I'm not taking any of this from the aspect of it being about how a business operates. I'm just talking in general about doing stuff and doing it faster and better so you can do the next thing. This is purely philosophical. We in general I think are too caught up in doing more and more and more. Produce produce produce. It's good but it's not everything.

Cramming our schedules with events and obligations and things to do and places to go, people to see and things to make, for me, I'm certainly over it.

It's perfectly ok to not to do anything to not make anything and to be still and quiet and to craft a cake slowly.

I have friends who feel guilty if they are not 'doing something' and one of my friends had a heart arrest once in her early 20's from GottaDoItItis. I used to be more that way, do do do make make make--but early on she kinda made me stop & think. Now the GottaDoItItis's of the world are probably providing balance for the GottaKeepTheCouchWarmers like me but I'll think about that tomorrow. I need to go keep the couch warm right now. icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:50pm
post #56 of 60

I am guess 3 hours was probably just the decorating time (not including baking) but maybe not. It really just depends on the cake. It usually takes me 30 minutes just to make icing, but sometimes I already have it on hand. It usually takes me a lot longer to make a cake than I plan on. I just made a 2 tier cake that I think took me 12 hours.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:

Quote:

<faint>

<thud>

So do I - but I don't spend 5 hours a day doing housework, life is too short for that!

When we get the towels washed congratulations are in order. Dude, I barely iron my clothes--if you are careful and hang them up out of the dryer you're golden.

Oh no another towel ironer!

<eyes roll back in head>

<toppling over>

<faint>

<thud>

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:18pm
post #58 of 60

I do like a clean house (not to say that mine IS clean though)! But my SIL just said this to me the other day "People who have clean houses are boring" LOL

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:43pm
post #59 of 60

I also like a clean house, but there are more important things at times so it will be there when you get around to it. Life is too short.

I said this in another thread:
A thousand years from now, when we're all dead and gone, we aren't going to be judged by how clean our house was or wasn't.

(My neighbor with ten children used to say this! I think it's true!)

Unlimited Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #60 of 60

(CWR41) ~ I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2BakeCakes

(For Decorator Unlimited) ~ I love your roses!

Thanks!

(K8memphis) ~ Hilarious! (keeping the couch warm!) I'm glad you've found your balance! I have days where I don't even feel like getting dressed, but it's hard to sit still when I've been ruined by assembly-line ethics. I'm not complainingI love what I've learned, but having nightmares about folding boxes or building cartons can be stressful!

My husband used to tease me because I could never walk down the hallway with only one thing in my handI had to try to take it all at once without making a second trip. When I failed, dropped it all, and had to pick everything up, he'd just laugh. Oh well, at least I'd try. That's why I say I'm ruined, because I'm always looking for ways to trim some timehopefully, successfully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%