Rolling Pin Rings

Baking By karabeal Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:00am by karabeal

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 8

I'm thinking it's about time for me to start work on some Christmas sugar cookies that I can freeze and have on hand when the holiday season starts in earnest.

I like to roll out my cookie dough to about 3/8 of an inch thick. I have the Wilton large "fondant" rolling pin which I use for rolling out sugar cookie dough as well as for fondant. When I roll out fondant I use the spacer rings that ensure that I'm it to a uniform thickness. I'd like more rings, but in thicker sizes so I can use them to roll out my sugar cookie dough the same way. (The largest Wilton fondant ring is 3/16" thick.)

Has anyone come across any other spacer rings in thicker/deeper sizes that would work for cookies and that fit on the large Wilton rolling pin?

OR, do you have any other advice to share on how you roll out cookie dough using dowels (which always slide around and make trouble for me) or any other method to quickly achieve a uniform thickness?

Thanks a million!

7 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 8

They make these sticks with different thicknesses. They kind of look like rulers. I can't think of what they are called right now, but I believe I bought mine from country kitchens.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 8

I use two 1/4 inch dowels to rest my rolling pin on while I roll the dough. That gives me 1/4 inch deep cookies. You can buy dowels in different sizes to rest the rolling pin on to acheive the size you need.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 8

I use 1/4 " plexiglass strips, no rolling around.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 8

I use the Dobord and I absolutely love it. Even cookies every time!

mamanorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanorm Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

Joseph Joseph makes a rolling pin with different size discs that screw into the ends. The discs are sized 1/16, 1/4 and 3/8 inch. They don't "give" like the bands or slide around like dowels. You can google the rolling pin to purchase. I got mine at WS for $20. Good investment.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:21am
post #7 of 8

I use the dowel as well but I grab a bit of doe at the start and ball it, then squash the dowel into it, it acts like a base and stops it rolling. I use the kids home made playdoe when I have it too.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 8

I didn't get any e-mail notifications on this topic so I assumed no one responded. Thank you all! Sorry for my late reply.

I'm intrigued by your responses. The Dobord is particularly surprising. I never even thought of a contraption that was board and risers in one!

I'm not too keen on buying yet another rolling pin (since I have four or so), but I do like the idea of the sticks from Country Kitchen (which appear to not be currently available). Or, I might go to the hardware store to look for plexiglass in my preferred thickness.

In the meantime, I'm going to use some extra dough to anchor my dowels. I'm sure it will be an improvement on my current setup in which dowels are rolling all over my kitchen counter and bouncing onto the floor. UGH.

You are all great. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%