Are You Blogging? I Think I'm Going To Start.

Lounge By wrightway777 Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 12:35pm by Awent9

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 41

So who has their very own blog? Any tips? I guess I will start out on blogger. Whats your blog address if you don't mind me asking.

40 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 41

Yes, i blog -
Best tip - make sure you have your setting set so as you moderate all comments before they are posted...that way you don't get the dregs of society leaving their grubby little hand prints all over your site icon_wink.gif

No - not prepared to post my blog address for the world to see -
Too many grubby little hands out there with grubby little mouths icon_rolleyes.gif

Next tip - those who *know me* know my real name
But on my blog i only go by my first intial...
If i want to tell someone i will tell them via private email.

Its adictive - its good icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 41

i like blogger.com because it's owned by google and integrates well with all their tools, which i use daily (e.g. email, analytics, Picasa, etc.)

wrightway777 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 41

Bluehue - great idea about a code name or initials and to moderate all comments.

metria - saw your blog! Neat idea about the sugar. youtube it on what to do with it. Here's a link (very grainy) but you can pick up tips by looking at his tools (get a hot light, sterno can)

I want to do giveaways when I do get it up and running.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 41

I love my blog! It's a good way to add information for clients in more depth than you can on your website. If you want to integrate the blog with your website it will be better for your search engine rankings, and to do that you need to use wordpress.org, or another service that will let you have the blog as a part of your site. You can't do that with blogger, but I find the other features offset that disadvantage for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 41

luv blogging ... addres in my signature.

(and costume's blog is really good!)

costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

luv blogging ... addres in my signature.

(and costume's blog is really good!)

Thanks!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 41

I've just started blogging - I plan to do a few more this month icon_wink.gif. It's attached to my website.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 41

As an avid reader of a LOT of cake blogs I just have one request - please, please, please spell check! There is one blog out there where the person cannot not spell and uses all sorts of emotioncons and it is very annoying. Since she hasn't blogged since July I will assume it was not her thing. However, for those willing to put in the time to create a great blog and we who are willing to put in the time to read them really appreciate it!

partycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partycupcake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #10 of 41

I have been blogging for about 1 year and absolutely love it! I could give you a ton of tips on content, building traffic, comments etc.....but the most important is to pick a topic you are passionate about.

I started out using blogger and now self host my own blog using wordpress. You can find a ton of info online about the different blog platforms. You can always migrate your blog over to wordpress later. Also, at some point you might want to purchase your own domain name. You can still use blogger with your own domain too.

Send me a post when you get your blog up and running and I would love to feature your blog to my readers.

Good luck!

Melody
http://www.partycupcakeideas.com

Bluehue Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:51am
post #11 of 41

icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif Just had a look at costumeczar blog - loveeeee that Autumn Cake you have on your home page at the moment.
Yes indeed love the effect you created going down the cake - thumbs_up.gif
Stunning beautiful

Sorry - i digress from the title of the thread - just had to say it tho.

Bluehue

costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 41

Ha, I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but thanks. Right now there's a picture of a Yoda cake done by Trudi Rickman on the latest post, since I did an interview with her recently icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Ha, I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but thanks. Right now there's a picture of a Yoda cake done by Trudi Rickman on the latest post, since I did an interview with her recently icon_lol.gif

Yes, i saw that ^^^ - then there is a cake further down the page - white with Autumn leaves falling over it - love how you did the ruffle - if thats what you call it going up the cake.

Bluehue

costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Yes, i saw that ^^^ - then there is a cake further down the page - white with Autumn leaves falling over it - love how you did the ruffle - if thats what you call it going up the cake.

Bluehue

Oh, that's right...That's just buttercream with a spatula dragged around it to make ridges. You have to put the icing on pretty thick to begin with, then just drag it off until it looks smooth enough to you. I liked the colors on that one.

Bluehue Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:43pm
post #15 of 41

It has a very delicate look about it - its just lovely...

And here i was thinking it was some individual layering you had slaved over for 15 hours - waiting for each layer to dry before you did the next icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

It has a very delicate look about it - its just lovely...

And here i was thinking it was some individual layering you had slaved over for 15 hours - waiting for each layer to dry before you did the next icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

Ha ha ha! I've done that before, and if I can avoid it I will! This one was supposed to be uneven pleaty-looking fondant (good thing it was supposed to be uneven) and it took me forever. http://www.acaketoremember.com/images/purple_peony_cake.jpg

There was another one that I did that had piped horizontal pleats on it, but I can't find a photo on my website. I remember that one was a pain because if you release the pressure you ruin the stripe and have to do repairs. And if you're a little off the whole thing starts to look tilted. icon_mad.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 41

I blog a lot, I actually have a few blogs. One can be found in my signature.

Tips: Comment Moderation if you want to Keep the occasional mean and anonymous commenters of your blog. I don't do comment moderation, it annoys me. If someone makes a mean comment, I just go delete it and that's the end.

Tip: Catchy Background. I'm serious.

Tip: Interesting Title

Tip: Make sure you spell right! Capitalize your I's, don't type like you are writing a text!!

Tip: Keep your sidebar clean.

Tip: Have links! People love checking them out!

Tip: Sometimes it is fun to do little polls on your sidebar. I do some of those everyonce in a while.

Have fun! Blogging= AWESOME!!!!

rachelkeiblog.blogspot.com

photographybyrachelkei.blogspot.com

wrightway777 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:14pm
post #18 of 41

Wow lots of great ideas!
Oh costumeczar I just checked out your site and couldnt help posting about the cake challenge/dilemma.

costumeczar Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:14am
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Wow lots of great ideas!
Oh costumeczar I just checked out your site and couldnt help posting about the cake challenge/dilemma.

I have an update to that coming tomorrow!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:59pm
post #20 of 41

I don't know the first thing about blogging, but would like to try it. Does anyone have any good places I can go to read up on it.

costumeczar Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:36am
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

I don't know the first thing about blogging, but would like to try it. Does anyone have any good places I can go to read up on it.

Go to google and do a search, There are TONS of articles about blogging, but most of them focus on the business side of it. Just write about something you're interested in so that you keep it up. Most people start and quit soon after when they lose interest.

wrightway777 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 41

costume - I heard recently I dont know for sure that Blogger is now letting you integrate your site with them.....

I will definitely be looking at both blogger and wordpress. All these ideas are really helping!

costumeczar Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:02pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:

costume - I heard recently I dont know for sure that Blogger is now letting you integrate your site with them.....

I will definitely be looking at both blogger and wordpress. All these ideas are really helping!

I didn't hear anything about that yet, but it would be good if they did. I get enough traffic on my website, so I decided not to switch over to wordpress since I don't really need it to improive my seo rankings.

wrightway777 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:16am
post #24 of 41

I did it! I did it! 2 posts today. Ok call me crazy but it was fun! What was I waiting for? Ok obviously I'll keep my family identity under wraps. And yeah i did use my name and there is one shameless pic of me. I havent figured out the background thing yet. I dont want to clutter up the background. I think some of the best blogs are 'kept clean' but this is at least a start. Dont laugh! Ok not hard though...I gotta start somewhere. icon_smile.gif Please leave a comment on the post. I dont know why I'm so excited to see posts on it - I guess its b/c its mine and I'm not just a contributor. What do you think? If something is blatantly horrible I'll change it.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:31am
post #25 of 41

I never would have thought to do it, but we had to start one on May.
My son was diagnosed with an extremely rare disease.
The testing, hospital stay and inquiring family and friends were more than we could handle.
Blogging kept everyone updated without my husband having to re-hash the day's events every time the phone rang.
It was a blessing.

Oh, my son is six months post-bone marrow transplant.
His hair grew back in from the chemo...curly!
We are still on isolation but expecting to hear soon that he is ready to be in society soon.

Blogging= connection.
Go for it.

christyann

wrightway777 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #26 of 41

Mommachris - Blessings to you and your family on receiving good news. You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful large family as well!

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #27 of 41

i used weebly.com recently to make a free webpage and you ca blog on it as well! i am hoping to start blogging soon, i'm just not exactly sure what to right... i'm usually pretty good about talking a lot when it comes to what i love (my site is a cake website) but i'm having trouble getting started... and i do plan on blogging with correct grammar, punctuation, and capitals where they are suppose to be... i just don't type in forums that way!

wrightway777 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #28 of 41

Awent - I have found blogger to be pretty cool so far! Since I owned my domain already I was able to tie it into Blogger. However my site is severely lacking substance at the moment so I am taking the route of starting the blog first.

All - I would love to know how to get a great pic or header design to be on the first page behind my name (and to change its font). Any body have thoughts on how to do that? Or tips? Its probably something easy. Wow I feel like when I first started doing cakes. This is probably like one of those 1st timer questions, "What's fondant?" ('fondant' said like the Cake Boss' accent) hee hee

Does it look ok for a beginner (blogger not cake person)?

Costume - Thanks! You are my first blog comment! Really appreciate that.

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:56pm
post #29 of 41

wrightway777, are you talking about blogger.com? i already started a website on weebly, i think i will start with their blog thing. hopefully it's decent... i was just talking to my sister about what my first blog will be! exciting stuff!

costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #30 of 41
Quote:

All - I would love to know how to get a great pic or header design to be on the first page behind my name (and to change its font). Any body have thoughts on how to do that? Or tips? Its probably something easy. Wow I feel like when I first started doing cakes. This is probably like one of those 1st timer questions, "What's fondant?" ('fondant' said like the ' accent) hee hee

When you sign into Blogger you'll see the design button at the top right of the page. If you click there it opens up their new design studio, and it gives you a lot of options to customize things. Once you're in there go for the custom route, and if you get stuck there's a help section with a forum that you can ask other users what to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%