Which Frosting Can Be Left Out Longer For Red Velvet?

Decorating By JacobR Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm by leily

JacobR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacobR Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a 3 tiered birthday cake. The top tier is red velvet, the middle tier is WASC, and the third bottom tier is red velvet. I was going to just do a simple buttercream icing for the middle tier, but I am stumped on the two red velvet tiers. They will have fondant on it, and I do not want to refrigerate the fondant. So, I would need it to be able to be left out for a couple of hours.

Should I use a buttercream frosting, a cream cheese frosting, or a buttercream crusting cream cheese frosting? Which one would allow me to leave it out longer and taste great with the red velvet?

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

3 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 4

oh if it's at cooler room temp leaving cream cheese frosting out for a couple of hrs is fine. BUT that's not your biggest problem, a normal cream cheese frosting recipe will not hold up for long, I can't even get a border on a 1/4 sheet it has to go back into the fridge to cool down. I'd try the crusting BC CC frosting, but I can't tell you anything about it. I do know that Lorann's makes a cream chesse flavoring that can be added to BC.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

I used the crusting cream cheese recipe here on CC under fondant and it worked fine. It can be left out for several days. And I used at the beginning of Sept here in Florida when it was hot & humid and it held up fine icon_smile.gif

Edit: Here is the link:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

I used the crusting cream cheese recipe here on CC under fondant and it worked fine. It can be left out for several days. And I used at the beginning of Sept here in Florida when it was hot & humid and it held up fine icon_smile.gif

Edit: Here is the link:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

This is the same one I use and never have issues with it, it works just like my regular buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%