Need Help Asap - Thank You!!

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm by TexasSugar

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my cousin's wedding cake. It's a fondant covered cake and on the bottom tier I am piping a beaded border that is several rows of beads, which gradually get smaller as you go up. I figured I should use RI instead of buttercream, but I was just thinking, will the shortening that I rubbed over my constarch marks on the fondant cause the RI to break down in any way? Would I be better off using buttercream? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

No problem whatsover. The shortening has been absorbed by the fondant by now anyway.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

I have piped RI directly onto RBC, which is EXTREMELY greasy. I had no problems. It does prevent the RI from drying super hard, which is a good thing on cookies, and probably on your border, as well. (for cutting) But it does dry hard enough for me to stack the cookies with no problems.

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you thank you thank you, Ladies!!!! I really appreciate your help with such short notice!! I will relax and use the RI!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 5

Two conventions ago I made the pink and black cake in my photos. I rolled the fondant out on cornstarch but wanted the black to shine and not be dull so I wiped the whole thing down with crisco. And we aren't talking about a small amount.

I thin piped royal icing decorations on each tier. I finally threw the dummies away last month. The royal icing was as hard as when I first did it, never melted or anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%