Cake Pop Dipping Problems

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 8:38pm by auntiecake

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 13

Tried my hand at cake pops for my daughters halloween party for school. They came out OK, luckily they where for preschoolers icon_smile.gif

I used candy melts over a double boiler for dipping. The coating seemed really thick, wanting to pull the cake pop off the stick. And I'm thinking I didn't have a deep enough bowl, maybe not enough candy melts??

How are you all dipping your pops successfully?

Any help is appericiated!!

12 replies
TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 13

I mix some shortening or Crisco into my mets. It keeps the coating thin. Just mix it really well.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 13

You could also try melting the candy melts and then putting some into a glass. It's a little easier to dip that way.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 13

i use paramount crystals, with the crisco sometimes i find they dont dry as fast or as good.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 13

Definitely shortening added, makes ALL the difference.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 13

How much shortening to melts do you think you add? Like what's the ratio? Thanks!

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 13

Never used the crisco but I have used the paramount crystals and they work really well and you don't need a lot so it goes a long way. The quality of candy melts makes a differance too. I have a vendor that uses CK and they work great. PM me if you want her web address. But here is a tip for you. With the candy melts I use, you don't have to melt them on a double boiler. You just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds, and stir every 15-30 seconds depending on the voltage of your microwave until they are thin and melted, but after this, but your microwave safe bowl on a heating pad that is warmed to medium. This amount of heat will not burn the chocolate but will keep it nice and melted just the way you need it the entire time you are working. It works like a charm.

FullHouse Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 13

It depends on the melts. I would start out with 1/4 teaspoon per cup and add more as needed.

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks! I'll add crisco (shortening) and see what happens. icon_smile.gif Now, whats the trick for keeping them from falling off the sticks in the process??

Melia

partycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partycupcake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 13

I just made these owl cake pops and have had similar issues with the cake sliding off the stick. I found an easy solution was to place the cake ball on stick in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The cake ball stayed on the stick during the candy dipping process.

http://partycupcakeideas.com/owl-cake-pops/

FullHouse Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 13

I also freeze before dipping, have no issues when I do it that way. There is a huge thread on cake balls from last year, lots of really helpful info and flavor ideas.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 13

i believe some people use chocolate to glue the stick to the pop as well.
xx

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 13

Are the balls easier to dip than the molded pumpkins, squares, gingerbread men etc.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%