Minimum Price

Business By iamcakin Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm by LindaF144a

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 28

Do you have a minimum order?

Mind sharing what a decorated 6" would be, and maybe your celebration (as opposed to wedding) BC cake per serving starting point, so I'd have a reference point.

Thanks in advance for your time.

27 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 28

Easy peasy fondant cakes go for $5.00 a slice (2-1/2 x 2-1/2). My market can bare my prices. It costs me the same for gas & electricity whether it is an 8 or 16. Each fussy little decoration is negotiated, for instance a three rose bouquet (bud, medium & full blown rose with leaves and filler flowers) goes for $15. Ribbon and simple tied bow is $8. Simple 3 custom characters are $10. Delivery depends on miles. I don't start up my oven unless it is 8", just not worth it to me.

It is my teaching prices that I have the issue with as I am the fondant instructor in an independent shop with private owner and getting the class cost standardized is very difficult.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Do you have a minimum order?

Mind sharing what a decorated 6" would be, and maybe your celebration (as opposed to wedding) BC cake per serving starting point, so I'd have a reference point.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Not sure exactlly what your ansking but this is what I get out of it. 6" is not a very big cake and if it is for a wedding usually the 6" topper is included in a wedding cake order, it usually serves 6 to 8 depending on how you cut it, usually 6 pieces at 1" per slice but it is also the aniversary cake. As far as pricing it it depends on what your decorating it with, fondants would deffinately but different to butter cream and so would realy flowers decorations as gumpaste etc.. but I personally would not do someting thtat small not worth my time and efforts. But for others I would take the price of your materials and add the cost of baking, boxes, and any overhead to the cost of materials to come to your price every area different. Hope this helped

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 28

If a wedding cake customer calls and wants an anniversary cake, I'll do one for them for $40. That's an undecorated 6" tier. For everything else I have a $100 minimum, which would cover a decorated 8". Anything bigger is going to cost more. I mostly do wedding cakes, though, I don't want to start getting into selling a lot of birthday cakes.

Edited to add: My 3-D cakes are $175 minimum.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 28

Our minimum order is one dozen cupcakes for $30 or a basic BC 8" round double layer cake (9-12 servings) for $39. If a customer wants to order a 6" cake, they can do so, but it will still cost $39.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 28

Yeppers Costumeczar I am so glad there are designers like you that do wedding cakes, as I have issues with Bridezillas then send me into a real tizzy. Also, I hate using up my Saturday's for wedding cakes.

One more thing, if they are a PITA then I charge extra. Don't want them back, however that has backfired a few times too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Yeppers Costumeczar I am so glad there are designers like you that do wedding cakes, as I have issues with Bridezillas then send me into a real tizzy. Also, I hate using up my Saturday's for wedding cakes.

One more thing, if they are a PITA then I charge extra. Don't want them back, however that has backfired a few times too.

Don't you hate it when you quote a huge price hoping to get rid of someone and they agree to it? icon_lol.gif

iamcakin Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Don't you hate it when you quote a huge price hoping to get rid of someone and they agree to it? icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Yes, yes, I DO!!!

Thanks jason, and costumeczar, you gave me exactly the info I needed. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 28

I charge $3/svg for buttercream and $4 for fondant.

I have a $50 minimum so if they want a 6" round it's going to cost them $50. It's not worth for me to turn on my oven for less.

iamcakin Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I charge $3/svg for buttercream and $4 for fondant.

I have a $50 minimum so if they want a 6" round it's going to cost them $50. It's not worth for me to turn on my oven for less.

Thanks, Cathy.
My per serving prices are almost exactly the same as yours. I just had a customer balking at my $24 6 inch smash cake (decorated to her specifications, of course icon_confused.gif ), to go along with 3 dozen cuppies - again 6 different toppers - $2.50/each. If the order is for a $150 tiered birthday cake, I include the smash...

Thanks for the confirmation everybody.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:11am
post #11 of 28

I only do little cakes as a favour for my husband's work colleagues when they are having an afternoon tea and cake for someone's birthday. I usually charge a minimum of $40 for a 7 inch round. Minimal decor.

I am about to introduce a minimum cake order of $100 for other cakes. I only do smaller (min 12) cupcake orders for the caterer who uses me for all their cake needs. I appreciate their business (especially when I do not have to deal with the end client!)

And speaking of PITA customers and high prices, I quoted high on an engagement cake that was costing me too much time in negotiations and correspondence...but they still faffed about and I ended up sacking them. I just haven't got the time to deal with all that design angst when its just a two-tier simply decorated cake (I am talking endless emails and calls and even a sit-down consultation!! They still couldn't commit!). And these people want me to still do their wedding cake!! I may have to make their wedding cake a $1000 minimum, just to see if I can scare them away, LOL!

(by the way - I would never do that!)

iamcakin Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:46am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

(I am talking endless emails and calls and even a sit-down consultation! I may have to make their wedding cake a $1000 minimum!

Haha...it's a wedding cake, for goodness sakes - fork over the cash! (No pun intended icon_razz.gif )

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:02pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

I only do little cakes as a favour for my husband's work colleagues when they are having an afternoon tea and cake for someone's birthday. I usually charge a minimum of $40 for a 7 inch round. Minimal decor.

I am about to introduce a minimum cake order of $100 for other cakes. I only do smaller (min 12) cupcake orders for the caterer who uses me for all their cake needs. I appreciate their business (especially when I do not have to deal with the end client!)

And speaking of PITA customers and high prices, I quoted high on an engagement cake that was costing me too much time in negotiations and correspondence...but they still faffed about and I ended up sacking them. I just haven't got the time to deal with all that design angst when its just a two-tier simply decorated cake (I am talking endless emails and calls and even a sit-down consultation!! They still couldn't commit!). And these people want me to still do their wedding cake!!

I may have to make their wedding cake a $1000 minimum, just to see if I can scare them away, LOL!
LOLLL - you go girl - thumbs_up.gif
What the heck - charge them 1200.00 - an extra 200.00 because they came back and annoyed you - icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

LOLLLLLLLLL - i charged more because one customer insisted on shortening my christian name to that of a male...so during the consult when i polietly said - hmmm, could you not call me that please - and she did - i thought -
righttttt, your cakes just went up"
No respect for me - the lady making your cakes - then i have no worries about charging you more.
She never batted an eyelid - nor did she call be by my correct name
So i added another 15.00 onto the delivery - still she never batted an eyelid - more money than sense i guess - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

Evoir Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:58am
post #14 of 28

LOL, I love it Blue icon_smile.gif I have done a similar 'running tally' with people who annoy me. If they ultimately reject the offer then its no skin off my nose icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:17am
post #15 of 28

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Blue, I luv it!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:01am
post #16 of 28

Love it Blue, I'll have to remember that one.

Bluehue Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:57am
post #17 of 28

If you can't someone by their name then its all downhill from the start...
My name is who i am.
Money - it doesn't buy good breeding or good manners - just expensive cakes... icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Altho in saying that, i do shorten Bluehue to Blue -

Hmmmm does that make me hypocritical icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

No........ because i am not making a cake for you - lolllllllllllllllllllllllll
and it me who chooses my time to be here... your not paying for it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

YES, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD ESCAPE - thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

B L U E H U E .................... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Evoir Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:41am
post #18 of 28

Oh Blue...whatever shall we do with you!

Evoir Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #19 of 28

(just kidding, 'k?)

Bluehue Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:58am
post #20 of 28

'K thumbs_up.gif

icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #21 of 28

I have a $75 minimum which is going up to $100 Jan 1. I charge $3 serving buttercream, $4 fondant and $5 carved cake, all simple decoration. Flowers, figures etc are extra. Those prices are going up by $1 each come January. Same price regardless of occasion for cake, makes no difference to me if it is a wedding or birthday, price is really based on complexity of design. Most of my special occasion cakes are more involved than my wedding cakes lately.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:52am
post #22 of 28

I will sell 1 dozen cupcakes with a basic buttercream swirl - or a 1/4 sheetcake for 36 - my smallest filled cake is 8" round. I do sell 6'" rounds but only as the top tier of a tiered cake, not by itself.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #23 of 28

I have a $150.00 minimum order, $400.00 minimum for Saturdays May1-Sept. 1 (peak wedding season) and my cakes start at $4.00 per serving.

I do offer my brides a freshly baked buttercream 6" anniversary cake for $25.00.

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:38am
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I do offer my brides a freshly baked buttercream 6" anniversary cake for $25.00.

Do you charge the brides for the top 6" tier on their wedding cake?
I'm new to this and figured that the top tier is not included in the number of servings(1st anniversary) and is free as a goodwill gesture. Or price the top tier in the servings and offer a free 1st anniversary cake. Am I right?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:04pm
post #25 of 28

I charge for the entire cake. I've never had a bride question me about charging for the top tier.

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I charge for the entire cake. I've never had a bride question me about charging for the top tier.

Good to know. I've done wedding cakes only for friends and family and gave the top tier free. I've another one coming up(not family) - I will make sure to add that on. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tmt578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt578 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:37pm
post #27 of 28

I heard that you add the cost of the top tier in the price, but not the serving size because that is generally not eaten.

I've never done a wedding cake, which seems so odd to me, but I have more specialty cakes with complex designs than I can number or count. I appreciate all the info from all of you. I find that I spend more time on my cakes than I want to and the money is generally NOT worth the effort. My business is basically referrals, but most of these ppl are friends of family in which they do not realize the TRUE cost of the cake (or either want to pay for it). I think I need to develop a minimum order and actually utiilize the price that my CAKEBOSS program generates, INSTEAD OF SHORT CHANGING MYSELF. Its frustrating, and I want the business but I need the money to match the effort and design.

Thanks EVERYONE... I love these forums.
Taneesha

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #28 of 28

Hold on to your hats - a simple BC 6" with simple fondant decorations and writing where I work:
Single layer - $12.50
double layer - $25.00

I know, way to low. But owner makes the prices, not me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%