Sheet Cake 101?

Decorating By RachieRach Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 2:19am by grams

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm not a cake baker but I do bake. My friend asked if I would make her cake for a baby shower (which I hve done for other friends). At the time we were thinking 40 people. Now we're getting the rsvps in and we at at 73! So I'm thinking of making 2 1/2 sheet cakes. Is there a way to put them together to look like 1 cake? Or do you recommend just making 2 separate? Is that too much cake for 73 people?

7 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 8

I have made a full sheet before using 2 1/2 sheets a lot when i worked for a large bakery. You just need to make sure to "glue" the two sheets together with buttercream and make sure you have it on a very rigid board so it does not bow & crack during transport. Also make sure you level the 2 1/2 sheets so they are the exact same height. I use this same "Glue & level" approach when putting to gether 2D cakes from multiple cake pieces.

alhicks77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alhicks77 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 8

I have done this a few times also. I will make 2 12x18's or 2 11x15's and put them side by side with buttercream to "glue" them together and then ice it over as one big cake. Agree with AmysCAKES, you definitely want to have it on a sturdy board before you ice it to keep it from cracking right down that seam. But it's really not too hard. Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRach

Is that too much cake for 73 people?

Two 11x15 1/3 sheet cakes would be enough to serve 74.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 8

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

A two layer 11x15 will serve 74. A two layer 12x18 will serve 98.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 8

I usually make 2 12 x 18's and stack them...you never know who is cutting the cake, so I show them how to make sure it is cut...they still get it wrong...if you stack the cake, it just looks more professional and tastes so much better (due to the filling). It is also easier to transport and decorate. You will get the pieces you need and hopefully, a few left over pieces for those who are too busy to eat.

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for replying so quickly! I definitely want to fill the cake, so maybe stacking will be easier.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

Probably 1/2 the cakes I do are full sheet cakes made by putting 2 1/2(12x1icon_cool.gif sheets side by side. I put them on 1/2 in foam core boards cut to fit a full sheet box. I also fill them. I often make one sheet chocolate and the other sheet white or whatever flavors the people like. As the others have said make them both the same height and cover the whole thing as one big cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%