Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 3:33am by ThePurpleButterfly

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:31pm
post #31 of 51

Just saw the book at Barnes and Nobles today

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:29pm
post #32 of 51

Just got my book in today!! I can't believe the recipes he put in it especially for cannoli, cannoli cream and crumb cake. I wonder if the sponge cake is the one they use in the bakery? There's alot of good tips in the recipes too. Gotta try the cannoli!
Wanda

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #33 of 51

How does the recipe for the lobster tails look? (as far as skill level/complexity goes...) This is NOT a product that will be easily made in a home kitchen....similar to a puff pastry. It usually requires the use of a sheeter.....or a hella lot of elbow grease icon_biggrin.gif
If anyone gives this recipe a whirl, please report back, would love to know how the recipe translates to the home baker.....of course, in the old country they didn't use a sheeter....
grazi!
Cathy

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #34 of 51

Cathy-it's really not bad. I don't have a big problem with it, although I don't have issue with puff pastry either. I make it at least once a week so that might have something to do with it. It helps if you've had experience making strudel too, the stretching process is similar. It is a bit labor intensive though; my first day at Buddy's they were doing it and it's an impressive process to watch! Especially with the volume of dough they make.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #35 of 51

Okay...I'm a nice little Italian girl from NJ who, before relocating, in the early 80's who would frequent Carlo's, Calandra's and Conco Dora bakeries in NJ. Each were known for something different and at the time I grew up, you could only find certain items at certain times of year. (i.e. St Joseph's were only in March...Struffoli at Chrstmas...)

I think I can say with certainty that the recipes in the book (which I haven't seen, read or discussed) are NOT, what he refers to as "old school," his dad's recipes. They may have substituted the wines and liquors used in much of Italian baking (especially the cremes and pastry shells) for extracts and using creme cheeses in place of marscapone cheese. The Italian/American bakers in NJ make Cannoli using Ricotta and Cream Cheese which is like a sacrilege to the Italians.

Lobster tails/sfogliatelli definitely use a certain wine from the region where the dessert was developed or region where the baker was born. These small differences do make taste differences. Remembering what the dough is like, I don't believe the pastry dough can be put through a sheeter. Personally, I don't believe a home baker can make a lobster tail. Well, they can...but they won't taste the same. The dough is pulled and buttered and those darn things sell for $4+ per.

Small changes make huge taste differences. Believe it or not, even the water makes a difference. In Georgia there are few real bakeries (even in Atlanta) where in NJ, every few streets there is another bakery and many ethnic. I know that I can make a taralle here in Georgia where they taste very different than the ones I make when I'm in NJ (using the same recipe.) Since everything else is the constant..it is the water! Thank you Dipaola in Newark NJ has the best taralles in my opinion. If you look on the internet for recipes, you see sugar and referred to as sweet bread. These things are made for dunking in coffee and harder than wood and in its original state, have fennel and black pepper. But again, it can be due to region. My fraternal grandmother, from the Abruzzi region, made these all the time. Two taralles and a cup of coffee to start the day!!! But I digress...

Did Buddy give out "his" recipes... They may be his by virtue of the fact that he developed..but I don't think they are the same. What we need to do is ask an NJ member to make one of the recipes and then visit Buddy's to purchase the same. Let them be the judge.

By the way... Carlo's bakery is a true Italian baker...and I can't speak for a fondant covered cake but I can tell you their Italian Pastry rivals the rest. (except for Taralles)

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #36 of 51

Thank you jersygirlNG, I enjoyed reading your post. I'm in NC but will be flying back to Mass. I'd prefer to drive just so i can stop in NJ and have a lobster tail. I've been craving one ever since I saw Cake Boss making the tray for the pregnant girl(twice already) and I'm not pregnant. I am swedish though and love pastry,mmmmm. I think your right.They may be his recipes but not the old school fathers recipes. Maybe they have multiple recipes for the same thing as some of us do. Happy baking everybody. I love this site!

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds-and-rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolledupcakes

You're welcome. I wonder if he's coming to L.A or Orange County...

I just Googled " tour dates"....He will be in LA at the Orpheum Theater on 11-17, and in Santa Rosa at the Wells Fargo Center on 11-19...hope you get to see him icon_smile.gif
Cathy

Just saw the list of tour dates and so far Buddy isn't coming to the Nashville, TN area icon_sad.gif But...Bakerella will be here to sign her book on Saturday! icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #38 of 51

FYI if you are buying the book via Barnesandnoble they have a 10% off coupon you can use online and in store.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #39 of 51

vmertsock....that could be the problem...puff pastry is an art form that has eluded me, guess I dont have the patience for it icon_sad.gif

jerseygirlNga....nice to meet you! I am a not so little icon_smile.gif Italian girl from Chicago...I really enjoyed reading your post. It must have been quite a culture shock moving from Jersey to Georgia...I know it was hard for me to adjust to Seattle having grown up in Chicago. We used to get somthing similar to lobster tails back home, called "snails" same kind of pastry but filled with a tart lemon filling. I laughed when you spoke of the rock-hard pastries your Gramma used to make. November 1st All Souls (or is it Saints?) day just passed....I remember the "Osso di Mori"...another Italian sweet that should come with a warning label: be SURE to dunk these suckers or you will be making a visit to your dentist! Oh the memories icon_smile.gif But they sure creeped me out when I was a kid.
take care
Cathy

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:30pm
post #40 of 51

omg!!!! my brother inlaw is in Boston... just got a pic with Buddy!!!! i'm so jealous!!!

GenGen Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #41 of 51

trying to add a photo but its not working hmm trying again

cant' seem to add an attachment.. oh well will go with photobucket

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:11pm
post #42 of 51

Went to Buddy's book tour in NYC on Wednesday night. It was great! He was so nice and so were his family members. They posed for pictures and signed books for those that asked. I will be making some things from the book and I will let you know how they turn out.

GenGen Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy107

Went to Buddy's book tour in NYC on Wednesday night. It was great! He was so nice and so were his family members. They posed for pictures and signed books for those that asked. I will be making some things from the book and I will let you know how they turn out.

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #44 of 51

I just flipped through the book at Costco last night - didn't even know he was coming out with one!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #45 of 51

Buddy is in town (L.A.). Tickets are $39.50 to see him. I really want to go, but no one to go with icon_sad.gif

helenecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenecake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #46 of 51

my daughter was going to New York for the week end and was staying in NJ. (we're fom Montreal) I asked her to get me some pastries from Carlo's bakery and she did get me cannolis and lobster tails.It was very good. She was with Italian friends and they said the cannolis were very good .My next thing is to buy the book and make some cannolis to see if they taste the same...to be continued
PS she also got me an apron...a happy mom

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:51pm
post #47 of 51

I went to his show here in Iowa. I loved it! He is so funny and nice! I bought his book at his show. I was one of the ladies picked from the audiance and won a t shirt for doing a cupcake like he did. I got hugged 2 times by Buddy! I felt like a teenager at a rock concert! He said they are building a warehouse to bake and ship cakes out. He is also opening a pizza restaurant around the corner from the bakery with his father-in-law. The name will be Sophia's after his daughter.

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #48 of 51

OH dang..I saw that book.. I WANT it!!! I love his show, even with all the dramatics... Never cared for him when I first saw him on cake challenge, a slight arrogant, but I loved how they showed techniques on the show..wish they would do more..and you "certainly" can see how much is needed to run a bakery and/or do a cake business... I hope his new show is just as good..and I can't wait to see that either.. I'm not for "dry" cakes either..wonder if they (Sylivia and Buddy) do "scratch" recipes or leave them out too long?? Good information ladies..thanks.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #49 of 51

If anyone has had one of his cannolis and gets a chance to make one with the recipe from his book, PLEASE update!! I would love to know if it's even close to what he sells in his bakery. icon_smile.gif

helenecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenecake Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #50 of 51

I had one of his cannolis and I also got his book...so I will let you know if it's the same taste... when I make it...don't know when. to be continued

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:33am
post #51 of 51

jerseygirlNga- I also am a Jersey girl in GA. I LOVEEEE it here and will never go back to NJ. You are right about some things... NJ has the best bakeries, delis and pizza places. I haven't had a good canoli since leaving in 96'. I'd love a true Italian recipe for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%