Making Lenses For Glasses

Decorating By Andrea_Mamie Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 1:43pm by -Tubbs

Andrea_Mamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea_Mamie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:40am
post #1 of 6

I'm going to be making 3d glasses for a cake that I have on Friday (Today is Wednesday) is there a way I can make the lenses out of something from home, that will hold its own weight? I want them to be clear and obviously the cyan and red color.

I've never worked with melted sugar or Isomalt, and I won't be able to get any Isomalt before the event. Is there a way I can melt sugar down, color it and dry it? Or can I spread a thin layer of piping Gel and get it to dry? I will be making the frames out of gumpaste.

Not trying to make a huge ordeal, just thought it would be fun to have EVERYTHING edible icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:44am
post #2 of 6

You could make them with gelatine like the butterflies and ribbons in this thread: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:02am
post #3 of 6

I was just going to suggest gelatine as well, when it's dried you can cut them with scissors to fit the glasses

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:21am
post #4 of 6

I would also try hot sugar. Check out baking911 website and search hard candy recipe or clear hard candy recipe, it's easy. If you have the Wilton brownie bit (silicone square mold) it would make some cool square glasses or you could use 2 oval/round cutters of the same size over a silpat. Sugar doesn't take long, and it looks like glass.

Isomalt gets less sticky, but you can alway brush sugar with a little veggie oil to return the shine.

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:09am
post #5 of 6

I recently watched a program where a cookie decorator was trying to get a stained glass effect in her cookies - she melted boiled sweets of different colours then poured them into the gaps she'd cut out of the cookies. It was very effective. Maybe you could try the same technique?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

I recently watched a program where a cookie decorator was trying to get a stained glass effect in her cookies - she melted boiled sweets of different colours then poured them into the gaps she'd cut out of the cookies. It was very effective. Maybe you could try the same technique?

Boiled sweets = hard candy (Jolly Rancher-type). That's what I would try too, although when I've done this before I've ended up with bubbles in the resulting 'glass'. Any tips for that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%