Cracks In Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By Strazle Updated 20 Jan 2007 , 10:32pm by nancys_world

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 9

I plan on taking the Wilton course next month. Until then, I thought I would try on my own to make a teddy bear figure. Well, as I have no prior experience, I just winged it. My teddy bear looks like its 90 years old. It has cracks and wrinkles everywhere. I used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. How do I prevent this? Thank you in advance for your advice. This site is GREAT!!!

8 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 9

It is a cool site.....it sounds like your letting your paste dry out....try working with smaller pieces at a time....keeping your unused pieces covered... I use a wet sponge in a zip lock bag to cover the pieces I'm not working with. You may need to work a bit faster or change your mix to 80/20 fondant/gumpaste this will give you a longer drying time.....but play around with the mix and you will find what works best for you.... have fun and keep playing icon_smile.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 9

You might try using fondant around a pound or just short of that and around 2 tsp of Gum-Tex...this is a great mix for modeling/animals etc..

One of the best tips I have when modeling is one I got from Boonenati ..she uses saran wrap to support pieces and keep them in shape. It is really easy to remove and it supports the pieces really well when you scrunch it up. I used that to support my polars bears when they were drying and my shoe too...works great!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 9

I like using gumpaste with fondant in a 50/50 ratio. It is soft enough to not develop lines or cracks but it has the faster drying and strength of gumpaste.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with JaneK. If you do not need a really fast drying time, use Fondant with gumpaste added to it. It does not take a lot, maybe a tsp. or two. It just takes practice to learn what mix works best for you.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

Strazle,

I have the same problem as you & I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong either. icon_cry.gif And I've also mixed 50/50 fondant/gumpaste icon_cry.gif

Strazle Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for your replies. I will try that 80/20 and see how it goes. I'll post my result. Your guys rock!

Strazle Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazle

Thanks so much for your replies. I will try that 80/20 and see how it goes. I'll post my result. Your guys rock!

Uh, excuse the typo.....YOU guys rock! Oopsie!

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 9

Also if you have something that is solid (like a bear body) you should poke holes in the bottom with a toothpick so that air can get up inside. It helps with things not shriveling up and looking all wrinkled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%