Ka Or Something Better?

Decorating By oohlalacakes Updated 4 Sep 2005 , 1:38pm by cybourg

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:09am
post #1 of 12

I'm (finally) looking into buying a stand mixer. I've got my eye on the KA Prof. 600. What do y'all use? Is there something better out there? It's an investment I only want to make one time, so I want something that will last (and do everything I want it to do). Thanks!

usaribbon.gif Samantha

11 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:18am
post #2 of 12

The KA is a wonderful mixer and a good safe investment....they last forever!!! I have a KA and I also bought a Wolfgang Puck about a year ago that I love too.......I have had my KA for about 10 years and it still runs like new......I just had so much going on I needed two mixers and didn't have the money for another KA.......I have been very happy with the WGP mixer but I've only had it a year so I don't know how long it will last....so far so good. Overall, the KA will is probably the #1 choice though!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:26am
post #3 of 12

My dh bought me my KA for me last Christmas and I have really give it a work-out, it would be the best investment you could make, you'll love iticon_smile.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:32am
post #4 of 12

I've had my KA for 3 years now and love it-can't say enough good things about it, I've had another standtype mixer several years ago-lasted about 2-3 years and I wasn't doing cake icing like I do now back then-didn't use it nearly as much as I do now-blew out = had hand mixers after that for quite a while til I got into cakes and thought-this is it-need a KA for this icing!! LOVE IT!!!!!

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:49am
post #5 of 12

I love my delonghi mixer.

Here is the info about it.
http://www.delonghi.com/delonghi/data/int/usa/Prodotti.nsf/b912ead30a9700cdc12569d000402e05/dd26bd047c077b8385256ed700541d49?OpenDocument 980-Watts and 10 year motor warranty. Check out the reviews at epinions.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-DeLonghi_DSM7_Mixer/display_~reviews

I bought mine from here
http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/Product_accessoriesx.asp?catalog%5Fname=Home+Electronics&category%5Fname=71g71c492s1980&product%5Fid=640956

The whisk is adjustable so it actually reaches the bottom of the bowl. Splash guard is wonderful. No more getting sugar vapors up my nose. The hole to add ingredients is much better than the kitchen aid version.

I have only had it a month but don't have anything bad to say about it.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 3:53am
post #6 of 12

I have a KA Prof. 600 it is the best thing since sliced bread.. I LOVE it. I say KA all the way.

thumbs_up.gif

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:17am
post #7 of 12

Ijust bought a KA professional 6 qt after burning up three hand mixers. I love it!! If you decide to get one, Amazon.com has great deals on them!. Purchased on a Fri night recieved it Wed.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:43am
post #8 of 12

I love my KA, I keep it in a prominent place on the counter. icon_biggrin.gif I cover it lovingly like a priest covers his chalice after Mass. If it ever broke, I would have to replace it instantly, it's as important as the hot water heater and the washing machine. Couldn't live without one. icon_cry.gif

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 10:25am
post #9 of 12

i have been coveting a delonghi for a good amount of time now. i started researching mixers and looked at the KA and Delonghi and was very impressed with d's lowest wattage is a lot more than KA's highest...d has a 10 yr warranty vs. ka's 1. i think the attachments for the d are a little more what i would use vs. the ka's - some that you can buy on ebay are a chopper and mixer.

i have been watching the ebay prices - looking at like $250-300, maybe up to $350 for the biggest 7quart 980watt model. ebay seems to be the cheapest i can find.

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 11:26am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmas

I love my delonghi mixer.

Here is the info about it.
http://www.delonghi.com/delonghi/data/int/usa/Prodotti.nsf/b912ead30a9700cdc12569d000402e05/dd26bd047c077b8385256ed700541d49?OpenDocument 980-Watts and 10 year motor warranty. Check out the reviews at epinions.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-DeLonghi_DSM7_Mixer/display_~reviews

I bought mine from here
http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/Product_accessoriesx.asp?catalog%5Fname=Home+Electronics&category%5Fname=71g71c492s1980&product%5Fid=640956

The whisk is adjustable so it actually reaches the bottom of the bowl. Splash guard is wonderful. No more getting sugar vapors up my nose. The hole to add ingredients is much better than the kitchen aid version.

I have only had it a month but don't have anything bad to say about it.

Can you put attachments on it? One of these days, I want to upgrade my KA. This one looks pretty good.

Joe

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 12

Must put my two cents in also, I don't know what I'd do w/o my KA 6quart. I've never had anything two tough for it to mix! I bought mine from Linens and Things. They were on sale, KA wasa offering a rebate and on top of that I used my 20% off coupon! I ended up paying a little less than $200 for the professional model. Not bad huh?

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 12

Since I am just starting out on cakes and don't know how all this will go, I bought an inexpensive Sunbeam stand mixer. I went with the Sunbeam because I was already using the same Sunbeam my mother used when I was little. I am in my forties. lol I wanted another stand mixer because of all the icing. I love the Sunbeam and if you are just looking for a good mixer to start out with it, that may be the way to go. Obviously, they are not heavy duty like the KA or deLonghi but a good choice if you are just starting out and not wanting to invest a lot of money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%