Instant Vs Cooked Pudding Question

Baking By KTB4 Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 4:50am by Noura80

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 8

My Mom was visiting friends in the US (we're from Canada) and picked up some pudding for me that I can't get up here. However, she mistakenly grabbed cooked pudding even though she knows I use instant.

What will happen if I try the cooked pudding? Has anyone successfully used it instead of instant?

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 8

depends on what you are doing with it. IF you are adding to a cake mix recipe then the cooked wont work. But if you are just making the pudding IMO cooked tastes much better then the instant and really isn't all that much work.

KTB4 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

LOL peg I guess I should have said that. I am plannign to add it to a cake mix. What about the cooke dpart doesn't work?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

i don't know what doesn't work, but the recipes i have seen always call for the instant added in.

KTB4 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 8

I tried it last night and it actually did work. Taste and appearance are just the same as with instant pudding. Texture was a little more dense but nothing unpleasant.

I'd do it again if I could get instant.

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 8

this may not help, but I grabbed cooked vanilla pudding instead of instant when I was making rolled sugar cookies. Recipe called for instant, I used the the cooked and my cookies turned out just fine hth with your decision making icon_smile.gif

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 8

I've bought the "cook" type pudding by mistake before and I've used it instead of the instant. Didn't notice any difference.

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #8 of 8

I always wanted to know the differnce between the cooked version and the instant. We do not have the instant ones so I've always used the cooked version.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%