Simple Syrup Advice! Help!

Decorating By ivymeister Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm by ivymeister

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #1 of 10

I have head many different things about simple syrup and have seen a few receipes and tips on how to use. I just need to get the facts straight. Can my fellow cakecentral pro's help me out on this subject? Is it a must or must NOT? Does it really help? How to use? Any advice would be great!! icon_redface.gif

9 replies
Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:29am
post #2 of 10

ivymeister,
I do equal amounts of sugar and water. I boil the water then add the sugar until it is dissolved. Let it cool down before using it. I use to brush it on but all the crumbs got in the syrup so now I put it in a squeeze bottle and squeeze it on. I think it keeps the cakes moist. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

amandda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandda Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:17am
post #3 of 10

i watch you tube how to videos like crazy thats were i learned most of my basics and i watched a chef from the le cordon blue school take simple syrup and/ or liquor and use it in a spray bottle to keep the cake moist before frosting. he had the spray bottle on mist and just used a slight bit. sorry im not a pro but i hope it can help you.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:12am
post #4 of 10

you do not have to add it. its entirely up to you. depends on the recipe you use - i tend to think it doesnt really work well for mine, unless i want to do something like lemon drizzle cake. if u over bake slightly it can also help to improve the cake!
xx

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 10

amandda, I love the spray bottle idea! thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 10

I always use simple syrup. Equal parts water and sugar brought to a boil then remove from heat. It's very versatile. You can leave it just plain to enhance the flavor of the cake or add flavoring to compliment the cake's flavor.

My secreet ingredient is a tablespoon or so of grand marnier (sp) to a batch (somewhere between 1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar & equal amount water). It really compliments white cake well. The sky's the limit as to what you can do with it. I personally apply with a pastry brush, but if I"m in a hurry I use a little squirt bottle.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10

The only time I use simple syrup is if I think my cakes have dried out or may have been overcooked a bit otherwise my cakes are normally moist enough that they don't need a syrup.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10

It all depends on the cake. I did not know about simple syrup until I joined CC and then started using it because I thought I was supposed to do it. I got complaints that my cakes were too sweet so I stopped using it (also thanks to CC) and some members told me that no, you don't have to use simple syrup.
If your cake is good the way it is then I would not brush on a sweet syrup on top of it. I guess it depends on the reason you want to use it.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 10

It was my understanding that simple syrup is encouraged when making sponge or genoise cakes, but american style butter cakes (or cake mix cakes) don't need it (like PP said, it may make it too sweet).

I do use it on my amaretto cakes only, using a pastry brush. It is the only way the amaretto flavor seems to stand out. (using WASC)

I have recently heard of people here on CC using it in a spray bottle on cakes and pairing it with nectar or liquor and just giving a light mist. Sounds yummy!

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everybody...this helps a lot. Please keep posting any other info you have! I'm still learning and have a lot to learn when it comes to baking and decorating! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%