Accidentally Got Mark Of Food Color On White Fondant...

Decorating By dandygrl34 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 4:14pm by jammjenks

dandygrl34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandygrl34 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 15

This is my first attempt at using Fondant andI am making an Xbox cake for my son's 18th birthday. Everything was going great but then I dropped an accent piece that had green food color onto the controller leaving a green smudge right in the middle. Is there any way to "fix" this?? I cannot cover it up really and the whole thing is basically finished so I don't really want to start over. Thanks for any tips or hints...I am new to this site and it is addicting!

14 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 15

First make sure the spot is dry, if not - like with a stain on clothes, LIGHTLY blot to remove excess color.

I would probably then try to lightly scrape it off and then using a teeny tiny bit of water "Blend" the fondant as smooth as I could again. Might leave a mar but that is possibly preferable to a green spot?

Not the best suggestion but all I can come up with. HTH.

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 15

This has happened to me many times. I use vodka to remove food coloring...It has worked miracles! Just dip your paintbrush in the vodka and swirl it around over the mark and it will begin to disappear. Use a towel to wipe off excess. It probably works best when the mark is still wet though.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15

I have had success with vodka, too. I was able to remove smudges with a cotton swab moistened with vodka (can use any clear extract if you don't have vodka) and just swirl the color off.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 15

if the vodka does not work try this:

paint the stained area with straight white gel color from the bottle and then wipe it all off. that has gotten super red off white fondant for me before, I discovered that works accidentally.

dandygrl34 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:41am
post #6 of 15

Thank you, it is already dry but I will try the q-tip in the vodka trick...I figured if anyone could help you ladies could! I was so excited this afternoon at how it was turning out and wanted to cry when i screwed it up. I will post a picture of the whole thing after it is all done. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:59am
post #7 of 15

i just wet a soft paper towel with the vodka or everclear. blot the area. put vodka on another area and blot again. keep doing this until it is all gone. works great for me every time. works great whether the area is still wet or dry.hth i had some coconut rum someone gave me. that worked better than anything i have ever used.

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:31am
post #8 of 15

Babywipes!!! Don't know how good they are for your little precious's bot-bott but they work miracles when it comes to cleaning up stains on your fondant!!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:04am
post #9 of 15

Okay - someone has to post the vodka tip to the 'Wanna know a secret' thread that is chock full of those types of tips! Awesome!

dandygrl34 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 15

The Vodka trick worked awesome...I posted some pictures of my cake under birthday cakes. Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

Babywipes!!! Don't know how good they are for your little precious's bot-bott but they work miracles when it comes to cleaning up stains on your fondant!!

Might consider it on something for display only..........but I'd never use it on something someone would EAT icon_confused.gif

Rae

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:16am
post #12 of 15

I've used my water pen with just straight water in it to brush off colors on fondant. Never had a problem with it. If you don't have a water pen, a paint brush would work just as well.

KimAZ

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

I've used my water pen with just straight water in it to brush off colors on fondant. Never had a problem with it. If you don't have a water pen, a paint brush would work just as well.

KimAZ

Same here. I hit the wet spot immediately with cornstarch and don't get a shiny area when it's dry.

Rae

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 15

I was heading out the door, so I didn't see the "out of vodka." TIP #1... Buy a bottle of "swill." That's what my daughter calls the really cheap bottle of vodka. Use it for color mixing and dabbing!

Since it is not saturated and just a quick wipe, I was taught that it is fine to use on any edible part of the cake. The other thing I was taught to always have on hand were cosmetic wedges. I would you the foamy q-tips by the cotton fiber ones.

Didn't know what else that could be used...hope you'll post what you did use and if it worked.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 15

Milk has worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%