Not To Sweet Frosting

Baking By Eva2 Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 10:58am by Eva2

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 8

I hate frosting that is to sweet. Last week my husband and I went to a bakery and we each got a cupcake. I loved the frosting, it was not to sweet, does anyone have a recipe for an icing that would not be to sweet?

7 replies
lacklin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacklin Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 8

I like Italian Meringue Buttercream for an icing that is not too sweet.

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 8

I looked up on the web and found that if you add a little lemon juice to the wilton receipe and it cut the sweetness down. I tried it and it works. Hope this will help

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacklin

I like Italian Meringue Buttercream for an icing that is not too sweet.

This or swiss meringue buttercream.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 8

Ditto... Italian or Swiss Meringue Buttercreams are delicious and have the perfect sweetnes to compliment and cake/cupcake. You can add a hint of flavor: orange, raspberry, champan, are all decadent.
If you haven't done it before, recipe could seem kinda scary, go ahead, is not that hard. Just make sure you have fresh eggs, a candy termometer and a standing mixer (aka KA).

If, when you're about to end adding all the butter still look a little "soupy", keep beating.... soon you'll hear a "slap" sound and voila... your silky, delicious frosting will be ready.

thumbs_up.gif

Eva2 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 8

I looked at a recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream and it calls for egg whites. Isn't it bad not to cook them??? Does this have to be kept in the frig???

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 8

You're going to pasteurize the egg whites by raising the temperature of sugar-whites mix to1 60 degrees. They will be safe to eat... no bacterias

You can keep unused icing covered on the fridge, and even the whole cake if not using fondant. Don't NEED to refrigerate; won't turn bad as long it's kept on a cool area. As with everything that does not have preservatives you should eat as soon as possible.

Eva2 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:58am
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%