Penzey's Spices?

Lounge By Elcee Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm by frostingfairy

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 17

Has anyone tried their products? We just had a store open near me and I went in this evening and was totally fell in love with the ambiance, the packaging, the aromas...and I spent oodles of $ on double strength, Madagascar Bourbon vanilla and dutch process cocoa so I'm hoping it was worth it and I didn't just get sucked in icon_lol.gif.

They have nice gift boxes of salt free spice blends, too, so I picked out Christmas gifts!

Thanks!

16 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 17

Oooooh, I could hardly wait to reply to you. I have loved Penzey's for years! I have always ordered from their mail order catalog until moving here to Missouri where there's a store in St. Louis. I still order from the catalog since St. Louis is a considerable trip for me. I do occasionally get in to the store where I spend the first 5 minutes deeply inhaling the wonderful aroma of all the spices. (It gives me the same pleasure as entering a tack store and smelling all the leather, mmmmm.)
Their products are the freshest and best quality. Take a moment to read the info in the catalog, so very interesting. They go all over the world to personally choose the best and when harvests are not optimum, they explain why the costs sometimes rise. Good recipes are sprinkled throughout, giving one an opportunity to try some of their blends.
I, personally, won't buy any other cinnamon anywhere but their Vietnamese cassia. It is the most pungent found, and I adore cinnamon. And the same goes for the Dutch cocoa and the double strength vanilla. (Wait until you find the whole vanilla bean inside the bottle!) These are my staples, on my shelves and in the freezer.
Does this tell you how much I love Penzey's?
I also love King Arthur's Baker's Catalogue. Would there were a retail outlet near me for them, also.

Guess I'll go make me a glass of cinnamon milk now that you have me thinking cinnamon. It helps with the cholesterol and tastes delicious, to boot.

Jan

Elcee Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 17

Wow, thanks, Jan, for the glowing recommendation. Now I'm really excited. I had the Vietnamese cinnamon in my hand but decided to wait. They have some sweet Hungarian paprika that I have my eye on, too. I'll definitely pick up a catalog, it sounds interesting.

I fear that I'm doomed...the Penzey's is in the same shopping plaza as Michael's, Borders, and Famous Footwear icon_wink.gif!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 17

Yep, that would spell doom for me!! Maybe I should be glad I live in the boonies where we have access to nothing. Nah.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 17

I second what Jan says!! I too, have used Penzey's for a few years now. We have a store about 40 miles from me. Worth the trip!!

You must try the BRADY STREET SPRINKLE!!! I sprinkle it over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, BUT, the BEST is GARLIC BREAD!! I bake a loaf of french bread ( I use Schwan's home delivery company) After baking, I split it in half lengthwise. I then butter it (REAL BUTTER) and sprinkle it with the Brady Street Sprinkle and then broil it. It is SO GOOD!! My husband does not like any other garlic bread after having it this way!!

~ihavasweet2th~

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 17

I'm another Penzey's fan!!! The quality of the spices is top notch, and I luuuuuv their blends. I really have to restrain myself when I'm in their store. I have given their gift boxes and crates many times, and people just go crazy over them!!

And yes, you MUST get the catalogs and try some of their recipes!!!! Yum. icon_biggrin.gif

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 17

Hello Penzey's Fans:
I'm in love with Penzey's. We have one here in Pittsburgh, and it too is fantastic. My entire cooking and baking have dramatically changed for the better, and my food flavours have significantly improved since a friend told me about them. I have 2 Tupperware carousels FULL of 99% Penzey's products.
I love their; ground Cumin, cinnamon, greek seasoning, cajun on french fries is awesome. Tuscan sunset in any Italian dish is superb, celery seed, cloves, lamb seasoning is great because you just sprinkle it on. For Christmas baking I really appreciate using the dried orange rind stuff. I just bought Cardamom to try making a C & Pistachio cake sometime in the near future.
I love walking in and taking that first deep breath there! Ahhhh, Penzey's.
thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #8 of 17

Isn't it fun to just love something and have no qualifying negatives? The store's ambience is wonderful, arranged so rustically, yet easy to navigate. Sample recipes found above the various displays of their many and varied blends, even the hand-stamped paper carrying bags...

A good portion of my kitchen shelves is dedicated to their blends, arranged in alphabetical order on spice carousels. The larger, bulk items find a safe place in my freezer, where their freshness is preserved.

I love the way herbs and spices, with which I am already familiar, are given new life in their recipe suggestions. And as a lover of culinary history, I appreciate their background information and lore on so many exotic flavors.

Guess I'll shut up now. Get me on a subject I love and I find it difficult to know when to stop!

Jan

Elcee Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #9 of 17

Oh, now I'm really excited icon_lol.gif! Once I post this I'm going to go to their website and sign up for their catalog. I can't wait to read and decide what I want to get next! Thank you all for your input!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 17

I'm all about Penzey's too! LOVE IT! I have one that is about 30 minutes from me plus there is one near where my Mom lives. I get there regularly and have a whole cupboard full of Penzey jars.

Signing up for their catalogue is a must. Typically it comes with coupons on it and if you live near a store, don't ever throw the coupons away. They ALWAYS take them no matter what the expiration date is. And when you get the coupon, I always write on the front of it what else I need so I don't have too many lists running loose in my purse.

Elcee - you MUST get the Vietnamese Cinnamon....Ohhhh My Goodness that stuff is fantastic. Also the Smoked Paprika is wonderful. Ohhh ohhh ohhh and the Dutch Dark Cocoa.

Elcee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLisa

Elcee - you MUST get the Vietnamese Cinnamon....Ohhhh My Goodness that stuff is fantastic. Also the Smoked Paprika is wonderful. Ohhh ohhh ohhh and the Dutch Dark Cocoa.

I got some of the dutch processed cocoa...I can't wait to try it in my fudge buttercream recipe. The original recipe calls for it but I've never had any on hand. It's wonderful with plain old Hershey's so should be out of this world with the dutch process.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 17

Man, you guys sold me, I just ordered my catalog. how are their prices though?

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 17

Such a wonderful place! Go there occasionally with my DH to stock up. We inevitably spend much more time there than we had planned....so many things to see and smell and imagine how we might use them.

Elcee Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

Man, you guys sold me, I just ordered my catalog. how are their prices though?

Most definitely pricey!

Anyone remember the Sienfeld episode where Elaine determined whether or not a man was "sponge worthy"? I may end up having to decide if a cake is "Penzey's Vanilla worthy"! icon_lol.gif

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 17

You are so lucky yo have a store near you! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Penzeys! The cake and baking spice not mention the cinnamon and vanilla and the dutch cocoa!

milkmaid42 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 17

It does cost a little more than what you could find at the supermarket. But all you have to do is open a can of store cinnamon and sniff, then do the same with the Penzey's. The difference will stun you. Theirs is not even comparable as far as the quality and freshness factors go. As much as I love to bake and cook, that factor is enough for me. (I'm living on a limited income so this is my one indulgence.) Plus, their blends are so inventive, they quickly become favorites.
'Nuff said from me. I have practically taken over this thread. Sorry. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 17

Penzey's Double strength vanilla is the absolute best!! It is pricey, so I do judge whether a cake is Penzey's Vanilla worthy icon_biggrin.gif

My whole spice cupboard is full of Penzeys things....I love to open the door and breathe it all in.

Wish there was a store in NJ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%