Tylose & Fondant

Decorating By 88nikki88 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm by Cakechick123

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I've been hanging out here for a while, and trying to learn as much as I can icon_smile.gif I'm making a cake for my cousin's baby shower Nov 7th, and using MMF to make a flower, baby, and safari animals (she's adopting from Ethiopia) I've never used tylose before, but read that it helps the fondant dry firmer and more quickly. I kneaded a little bit into my fondant yesterday and made the baby (1st impression mold) and the flowers. They are drying, but not as quickly as I had hoped.

So, my questions: 1.how do you add the tylose to your fondant? 2.How much tylose do you add? 3. How long does it typically take to dry?

I tried to search, but didn't have much luck, probably user error, LOL. Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance for any advice icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 4

I add 1tsp to 100g of fondant, but its best to experiment a bit.
I just sprinkle it over and knead it in.
My figurines are normally dry enough to handle them in 10 hours or so.
HTH

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I don't think I added nearly enough, I was afraid of adding too much. I'll follow your advice for the rest!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88nikki88

I was afraid of adding too much.

Start with a small ball, if its too stiff then add some plain fondant, this way you wont end up with a tub full icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%