Bridezilla Dumped Me For Walmart/wegmans 3 Days B4 Wedding!!

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm by Coral3

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:32pm
post #31 of 62

My sister got her wedding cake from Walmart. They ordered it a few days before the wedding. It was three tiers, white with pink roses. It came in three boxes and a bag of push-through pillars, and my sister assembled it at the reception.

The tiers were 4" thick, but there was no filling. It also developed a major lean about half an hour into the reception. They had to cut the cake early and then 90% of the guests left right after the cake was cut.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:00pm
post #32 of 62

Don't you just love *prescious brides[/i

Unless you are able to [i]slap
some sense into her - i wouldn't go near her/speak to her from this day forward.. thumbs_up.gif

Its true what they say..
You can choose your friends - but not your family.

Shezzzz - not only is the cake last minute - but so is the marriage.
Thats all class....NOT.

Lolll - you could send an invoice - stating how much she owes for time and effort waisted..
Sorry she put you through this....

Bluehue

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #33 of 62

I talked to a girl in one of my classes today who decorates cakes at a walmart. She said they must have 2 weeks notice since they don't bake the cakes onsite and they have to be ordered.

Bluehue Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:33pm
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I talked to a girl in one of my classes today who decorates cakes at a walmart. She said they must have 2 weeks notice since they don't bake the cakes onsite and they have to be ordered.

hmmmm, you think *some precious young bride* might be dissapointed when she hears that? icon_wink.gif
AND then perhaps that same precious young bride might be calling someone back again icon_rolleyes.gif

DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #35 of 62

Don't worry about her putting all of this back on it being your fault. Seems like the actions of her and her dad act alot louder than the words she would speak.

You can only help your behaviors, not theirs. If they start spreading rumors about you and the cake situation, people will likely know they are lying.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When my sister got hers a few days before the wedding, it was about 7 years ago, so maybe they've changed since then.

It did taste like it might have been in the freezer for a few years before she got it.

There's a cake shop here in town that advertises same day wedding cake service...of course all they do are the ruffles and pillars style which isn't too popular here lately.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:13pm
post #37 of 62

I think you should answer the phone if she calls and tell her that since she canceled her cake with you, you made other plans for that date. The plans being you decided not to do her a cake at all.

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm
post #38 of 62

A few years ago when I made the mistake of trying to get married (never went through with it - best choice I ever made! Hehehe) I went around and talked to several bakeries in my area about wedding cakes. Of course it depends on what you wanted, if you wanted fresh flowers on the cake, ect. but here was the basics:

Deposit on the cake (I forgot how much - been a while!)
Deposit on any kind of tier/stand you might want
Deposit on any of their dishes you might want to rent

So, yes. I am kind of surprised that whether or not she was related to you that she thought she wasn't going to have to pay any kind of a deposit. icon_surprised.gif Most of the cakes I were looking at were $300 + dollars plus the deposits!

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:21pm
post #39 of 62

UPDATE:

My DH "ran into" the father of the bride yesterday while I was on a field trip w/ my DD. Since he's my partner in everything in life he decided to let my cousin know EXACTLY what we think about what his precious little daughter did. My cousin immediately started making excuses for her and saying that she's driving him crazy and broke. He explained that what his daughter took issue with was the height of the cake. She wants something stunning and tall.....my answer would've been...OK, you want to pay for that I will do it. She also apparently wanted someone to set it up. I would've done that too..for a price. The whole point of this was for her to have a beautiful cake on HER budget. So when my DH told him she's gonna have a hard time finding a chain store to do it this is what he was told...... "her MIL is really being a pain in the a$$ about the cake and what it looks like. Since they were concerned about the height and stuff they've decided to let her MIL's friend make the cake" Seriously!?!?!?!?! icon_eek.gif I don't know if this woman has any experience in cakes or not but if she did then why ask me in the first place???? icon_confused.gif It's not like I'm close with this particular cousin so I wouldn't think to be the first choice..if any. I really hope they post pics of her w/ the cake!
My cousin did however offered to pay me for all the materials I've already purchased and said he would hire me for when he marries his current gf....problem is that would require him to first divorce wife #3. icon_surprised.gif I have mixed feelings on the sending him a bill for the supplies though, the things I can't use again I was able to return and the rest I will most likely be able to use again...some was stuff I already had here that I was using to cut her costs to begin with......any advice on this?????
Oh and my cousin said the # of servings is over 100 now. That makes 65 to 80 to 100+ in 3 days!!!

God certainly was smiling on me the night they canceled!! I would be hurting someone at this point. I was initially really hurt by being canceled. I've NEVER had someone tell me they didn't like my cakes and in fact did one just 2 wks ago that the family is STILL raving about. The initial slap really stung but now I'm sitting back and enjoying watching the train wreck!

My deepest thanks to all of you here on CC....I was really having a hard time with this and you all have made me feel a LOT better!!! thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #40 of 62

Good god - i don't know whether to laugh or cry at this *train wreck* and the precious bride...
It just goes from bad to worse -

Make yourself comfortable as you sit back an watch it all unfold - for i feel there is yet another episode to come before she and her 8 1/2 month belly waddles down the isle - icon_rolleyes.gif

Sometimes the slap of rejection turns into a glow on ones face...

Your DH did good - and it probably hit home more because he would have said what he said without built up emotions...

Gee, can't wait to see pictures of this cake - hope you come across some..
icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #41 of 62

take a nice long hot shower and wash it all away- say good riddance!

chrissysconfections Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #42 of 62

Well here it is..... it's nicer then I thought she would get though it reminds me of cakes I'd seen in old decorator books from the 80's. It has just about everything on it she told me she DID NOT want!! She said no roses, no fondant (not sure if that's fondant or not) and she wanted dark, dark red to match the dresses. She did want the ribbon though icon_wink.gif
This is the only pic posted so far so you kinda gotta use the mirrored back drop to see the cake.
It looks, and sounds like from what I heard, that she had a beautiful day. Looking back on the whole thing I'm happy for her. She got what she thinks she wanted and had a nice wedding and I had 2 glorious days with my DD that I could've spent agonizing over a cake that never would've been appreciated. I've also managed to talk to the only family memebers that count (IMO) and they told me what I did was right, that it's typical behavior for that part of the family and to not sweat it.....they didn't even go to the wedding because they never recieved invitations and felt that the verbal invites they got was an after thought to get more ppl to come and in turn more $$ for the bride.
So all is well that ends well I guess!!! thumbs_up.gif

chrissysconfections Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #43 of 62

OK, why didn't they post???

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:43pm
post #45 of 62

The facebook link is "unavailable" when clicked on. But, Wow, love the one she ordered from you originally!...too bad, looks like she missed out on a great cake from you! Glad you're feeling okay about things now, after the fact. Would still like to see the pic of the cake she ended up getting though! icon_wink.gif

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm
post #46 of 62

OK I totally need a picture of the cake she actually got! The link says unavailable!

chrissysconfections Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #47 of 62

I couldn't get it to attach for some reason so I uploaded it to an old snapfish account so you can get the link.....hope this works!!

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=5057323007/PictureID=252094821007/a=53147530_53147530/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Let me know if it works!

Sweet_Dash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Dash Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:46pm
post #48 of 62

Family members take advantage quicker than strangers sometimes. I had a cousin's mom call me about a bridal shower cake. She gave me a vague idea of colors and design but not sure. Said she would have to talk to here daughter. I told her on the phone i will email you more info so you can make an informed decision. One week later still no response. They live quite a comfortable life so I know money is no issue. They are just disrespectful to not respond to me at all. I have a feeling I will get a call the day before, still no payment mind you, and ask what time the cake will arrive. I plan on letting them know without a response or deposit I thought they changed their mind. Ridiculous. I feel for you and hopefully this will be the last time you have to go through this with family...

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #49 of 62

Sorry this happened to you......I learned the hard way too......no ticky.....no laundry.....! did some flowers for a friend's daughter's wedding....her sister was to pay for the flowers.......no deposit. ugh....!!!!!! nto this day 1 year later and several phone calls...... "I'm so sorry....we are hardly making it on what my husband makes now....I just can't pay you....." I don't know how people sleep at night...knowing that they cheated you out of $180.00...?????

GenGen Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm
post #50 of 62

sounds like some local people i know. their well off but take advantage of some services and no one calls them on it. their years behind on paying certain things- and get away with it every time.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissysconfections

Let me know if it works!

Well, I saw the pic through snapfish...it is a little difficult to see. But what I did see was that it kind of looked like the final cake in Wilton's course 3...except with an extra tier. icon_confused.gif I don't know if it's just the pic or not, but it looks like there is ribbon missing on the second tier? mmmm...maybe it's just my eyes... icon_eek.gif

Anyway, like I said before, I think you dodged a bullet on this one and I would just put it behind you and move on to bigger and better things! The original cake you quoted her on was VERY LOVELY...you do very nice work! thumbs_up.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

(I've never heard of Wegmans)

Wegmans is the most lovely grocery store.

I heart Wegmans.

I'm so happy that it all ended well for the OP, btw, TAKE THE MONEY her father offered! You're time is worth much more than you would get anyways. Best of luck icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #53 of 62

I feel you pain. My SIL calls me on Saturday evening wanting to know if I can make her a cake for Tuesday...she needs to pick it up Monday night. She knows its short notice, so I can do whatever I want. Get this. She says, "I just want it to be three tiers, but I only need it to serve 6 people. It's only going to be them, me, her parents and friend. HUH! After I shook all her stupid off of me, I said, "Pam, that only gives me tomorrow to get it done. I have to work Monday. That IS pretty short notice. She says, "Oh, please, I don't even care what it is I just don't want her to be without a wedding cake." I says stupidly, "I suppose I can whip something up." That was my first mistake. So, I get this cake made. It's hotter and more humid then the hubs of H-E-double toothpicks. I tell her she has to keep the cake cool. I tell her just keep it in a cool place. She says, "Maybe I should stick it in the freezer, so it will stay cool on the trip to (town 45 minutes away)." I tell her absolutely under no circumstance should she stick this cake in the freezer unless she wanted a pile of goop when she got where she was going. Well to make a long story short she calls me up and tells me that the cake collapsed and that she had to buy another one from walmart for $20.00 and just have congrats put on it. I feel horrible (for about 30 seconds). Now the clincher, you have to know my SIL. She is one of those people who always want something for nothing. She paid me $20.00 for making her the cake (I just charged her for ingredients). I am later talking to the gal that was the bride for whom the cake was made. She proceeds to tell me how much, she loved my cake. I said, "I thought the cake collapsed and (my SIL) had to buy a new one from Walmart." Oh no, the cake was fine. All except it was sweating from where (my SIL) had taken it out of the freezer and a little chunk fell out of the back, so we just covered it with flowers, she says. My SIL was trying to get her money back by telling me the cake collapsed. Now how cheap is that. I did a 3 tier wedding cake for her in an afternoon. I don't speak to her anymore. When she calls I don't answer. Thank goodness for caller id. Sorry so long, I guess I needed to rant a little too.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #54 of 62

I saw the cake on snapfish...is it missing ribbon on the back of one tier? I'd like to see another one if you get one. Sorry you had issue with your cousin but glad that you didn't make the cake!

chrissysconfections Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm
post #55 of 62

Let me clarify that the second cake (but first to post) was NOT one I had made previously...it's actually another CCer's but it is the one she picked. Orginally her very first choice was one I did with strawberries all over it, it may be in my pics on here but not sure. The more we talked the more she was leaning towards another idea...especially when I started talking prices and getting strawberries in Oct!!! I showed her the cake she chose as an IDEA of what I could do though her's was not going to be exact. It's funny now looking back because as I was shopping for the items I needed I was thinking about going a little farther with the cake, adding some bling because I wanted it to be special for her even though they couldn't afford it. Sooooooooo glad I resisted the too frequent temptation to go that little bit more!!

cabecakes~ I'm so sorry for what you went through!!! My DH has a saying that is very sad but very true ..."No one will screw you harder or faster then family!" ..... Guess I learned that one the hard way!!!

GenGen Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #56 of 62

Ouch cabecakes.. i've never had afamily member do that to me and i feel bad you had to endure that. what a crock. karma's a beach - it willcome back to her.

cakelady_nikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady_nikki Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:40pm
post #57 of 62

I also have had problems with family (mostly expecting free cakes on very short notice.) Thank god nothing as bad as what you experienced. I have become a little tougher and no matter who you are you get a contract and you owe me a deposit. Unfortunately I think its a lesson we all have to learn.

chrissysconfections Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #58 of 62

I don't know if the cake is missing the ribbon (which is what I first thought) or if they peeled it back to make the first cut. She hasn't posted ANY pictures yet or even changed her name on fb yet so I don't know if I will get anything better then that one though I would sure like to see something close up myself!!!

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

I feel you pain. My SIL calls me on Saturday evening wanting to know if I can make her a cake for Tuesday...she needs to pick it up Monday night. She knows its short notice, so I can do whatever I want. Get this. She says, "I just want it to be three tiers, but I only need it to serve 6 people. It's only going to be them, me, her parents and friend. HUH! After I shook all her stupid off of me, I said, "Pam, that only gives me tomorrow to get it done. I have to work Monday. That IS pretty short notice. She says, "Oh, please, I don't even care what it is I just don't want her to be without a wedding cake." I says stupidly, "I suppose I can whip something up." That was my first mistake. So, I get this cake made. It's hotter and more humid then the hubs of H-E-double toothpicks. I tell her she has to keep the cake cool. I tell her just keep it in a cool place. She says, "Maybe I should stick it in the freezer, so it will stay cool on the trip to (town 45 minutes away)." I tell her absolutely under no circumstance should she stick this cake in the freezer unless she wanted a pile of goop when she got where she was going. Well to make a long story short she calls me up and tells me that the cake collapsed and that she had to buy another one from walmart for $20.00 and just have congrats put on it. I feel horrible (for about 30 seconds). Now the clincher, you have to know my SIL. She is one of those people who always want something for nothing. She paid me $20.00 for making her the cake (I just charged her for ingredients). I am later talking to the gal that was the bride for whom the cake was made. She proceeds to tell me how much, she loved my cake. I said, "I thought the cake collapsed and (my SIL) had to buy a new one from Walmart." Oh no, the cake was fine. All except it was sweating from where (my SIL) had taken it out of the freezer and a little chunk fell out of the back, so we just covered it with flowers, she says. My SIL was trying to get her money back by telling me the cake collapsed. Now how cheap is that. I did a 3 tier wedding cake for her in an afternoon. I don't speak to her anymore. When she calls I don't answer. Thank goodness for caller id. Sorry so long, I guess I needed to rant a little too.

CRAZY STORIES LADIES!! cabecakes, does she at least know that you know she lied?? I wouldnt be able to resist the urge to call her up immediately and tell her I spoke with the bride.. and after calling her all kinds of names, I would let her know she will never see any of my cakes again

chrissysconfections Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #60 of 62

I don't know if anyone is still watching this post but if they are I just wanted to update that the bride posted her professional pics on fb and she did not post a single one of the cake...not ONE. After looking through the pics that she did post I have a tendency to believe my cousin when he said it was her future MIL that caused all the drama because she has a bunch of pics of herself in the pro pics...including ones of her alone holding the brides bouquet....makes ya wonder whose wedding it was?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%