Tinkerbell Cake

Decorating By Calgary_Mama Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm by eve81

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to make a Tinkerbell cake for Oct 31 - and the Tinkerbell figurine being hand made from gum paste...

I've done some figures, but never anything like a Tinkerbell... I would love and appreciate any help/advice for this!!!

Have any of you had any experience with her?

11 replies
amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 12

I know people are going to go on the whole copyright rant...but that aside. I would find a picture through google image, print it out . Then I would break down her anatomical parts and visualize each piece that needs to fit together. I usually start with the torso with a lollipop sitck in the center and then put her head on the top part of the stick. I have found also that if you make the torso, legs and arms and adhere them. Then you can go back and cut out clothing from rolled gumpaste like you would for a paper doll or something.By making the clothes seperate it hides any flaws with the actual body. I also put toothpicks or spaghetti in the legs and arms. Depending on whether or not she is sitting or standing I have a large stick out her bottom to go into the cake, or out her feet.

Sitting people are easier...you could have her sitting on a mushroom or something.

HTH

I love doing gumpaste people so if you have any other questions pm me.

Calgary_Mama Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you!!! It is helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will PM you if I have issues.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 12

Tinkerbell is very difficult and time consuming I find and would be very expensive to charge for and most people won't pay the money so I used plastic resin dolls I bought off of Ebay when I made my daughters Tinkerbell cake...It turned out very cute..check it out in my photos...

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 12

I did a Tink and she was very difficult. I worked on her for about a month and still was not happy with her face, but overall she was OK. I did the head first, neck and chest area next. Then I stuffed that part of her into a dress top (sounds weird) hopefully the pic will attach. I used a daisey cutter for her skirt and had her legs coming out from that, and she was holding flowers so I didn't have to make hands. Gosh reading this back sounds confusing.. I'll work on the pic.. lol.

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 12

Well I was able to add it to my photos.. it's the only one there icon_smile.gif

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:44am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I know people are going to go on the whole copyright rant...but that aside. I would find a picture through google image, print it out . Then I would break down her anatomical parts and visualize each piece that needs to fit together. I usually start with the torso with a lollipop sitck in the center and then put her head on the top part of the stick. I have found also that if you make the torso, legs and arms and adhere them. Then you can go back and cut out clothing from rolled gumpaste like you would for a paper doll or something.By making the clothes seperate it hides any flaws with the actual body. I also put toothpicks or spaghetti in the legs and arms. Depending on whether or not she is sitting or standing I have a large stick out her bottom to go into the cake, or out her feet.

Sitting people are easier...you could have her sitting on a mushroom or something.

HTH

I love doing gumpaste people so if you have any other questions pm me.

this is exactly how I would do it too. Plus I usually have an egg carton box on hand with a skewer stuck into it to make my characters. I make the head first because its the most intricate part and then make sure the body is the right size to go with it. If I were you i'd probably try it today or tonight and see how it goes. but doing each body part seperately and attaching is the less stressful way to go about it. Make sure you add a pic when you're done. I love tinkerbell! icon_smile.gif

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 12

I made a tinkerbell also and like others have said, it was very difficult. The hard part was getting her face and eyes to look right. I spent a long time on it and still was not happy in the end. I made her sitting on her knees so that made the body pretty easy to do. I made the body first, wrapped the dress around the body and then attached arms and sat the body on the legs. I stuck a toothpick in the body and put her head on the toothpick. Good luck, I'd love to see pics when you're done icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1666764

Calgary_Mama Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:05am
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much!! I tried to make her last night.. lol and she looks like she's had a few too many cheeseburgers LOL but I will work on her again. All in all, she's okay, but I will re-do her, tomorrow night lol.
DEBBIEF - your picture is my inspiration icon_smile.gif I saw it last night (before reading this comment) Mine is sitting also, but I made her legs too chubby lol and she has huge boobs lol I'm gunna work on skinner legs and smaller boobs
your comments are helping so much, I appreciate it.

debbief Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:02am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Mama

Thank you so much!! I tried to make her last night.. lol and she looks like she's had a few too many cheeseburgers LOL but I will work on her again. All in all, she's okay, but I will re-do her, tomorrow night lol.
DEBBIEF - your picture is my inspiration icon_smile.gif I saw it last night (before reading this comment) Mine is sitting also, but I made her legs too chubby lol and she has huge boobs lol I'm gunna work on skinner legs and smaller boobs

That's so funny. I had exactly the same problem my first time around. She turned out very chubbie and funny looking. I saved her so I'll try to take a pic and post it. She's really quite pathetic looking. I bet you'll feel sooo much better after seeing her.

debbief Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Mama

That's so funny. I had exactly the same problem my first time around. She turned out very chubbie and funny looking. I saved her so I'll try to take a pic and post it. She's really quite pathetic looking. I bet you'll feel sooo much better after seeing her.

Ok so if you want a good laugh, take a look. The best part is I really did try to make her look good. Trial and error I guess icon_lol.gif

(darn I can't get pics to attach so I had to add her to my photos)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1666764&sub=1841837

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 12

awwww Debbief that would be soooo cute for a baby shower cake! icon_wink.gif

Joking aside it's not a bad first attempt. I rarely get a figure right on the first go icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%