? About Making Flavored Bc

Baking By SweetSyren Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:50pm by Maria925

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 9

When making a flavored bc (like nutella flavor) do you just add nutella or raspberries or whatever flavor to your mix? Do you have to adjust other ingredients in your bc recipe?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 9

When using oils for flavoring, I view any recipe as "add flavoring" - what kind makes no never mind.

When adding something that will alter the texture (liquid fruit or cocoa), I balance it with the opposite for texture consistency. for example, by adding cocoa, i'm adding more dry ingredient, so I might have to add more milk to balance it. if adding a fruit puree, I'm adding more liquid, so I might have to add more sugar to balance it.

You know ..... "until it looks right!" icon_wink.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

I've made a few cakes recently with Nutella. I use Indydebi's BC as my base (thank you Indydebi). I ended up using 1/2 a jar of Nutella but I can't remember how much BC I started with. I know it was NOT the whole recipe...maybe 1/2. Anyway...I kept adding the Nutella until I got the right flavor intensity. I did not add any extra milk, but I did notice that the longer I let it mix the smoother it got. When I first started adding the Nutella it was very thick, but I left the mixer on for about 15 minutes and it became very smooth and creamy!!! Everyone loved it!

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 9

Marie925, was your bc initially "grainy feeling" after you add the Nutella. I tried adding to IndyDeb's also (love her bc) but it was grainy. Maybe I didn't beat the heck out of it long enough

Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9

Yes it was grainy/gritty looking and feeling. But letting the mixer go made all the difference in the world. It ended up very creamy and luscious!

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Maria, I'll give it another whirl thumbs_up.gif

Levh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levh Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 9

to make a choc bc, do you just add cocoa powder? I use indydebi
recipe also and was wondering this?

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentwn

Marie925, was your bc initially "grainy feeling" after you add the Nutella. I tried adding to IndyDeb's also (love her bc) but it was grainy. Maybe I didn't beat the heck out of it long enough

To get rid of the graininess, try dissolving the Dream Whip in the milk (or half and half) warmed up before adding it to the mixture.

Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

To get rid of the graininess, try dissolving the Dream Whip in the milk (or half and half) warmed up before adding it to the mixture.

I have recently started doing this and it works great. But when I added the Nutella it became gritty anyway...I guess the textures mixing together initially.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%