Raspberry Filling Gets Absorbed! How Do I Avoid This??

Decorating By jennyanne4 Updated 29 Jun 2014 , 5:41pm by Lisana

jennyanne4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyanne4 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have an issue with my raspberry filling getting soaked up into the cake layers. There is still a good raspberry taste, but the filling texture is lost! I use the raspberry filling recipe from Wilton's website. It did work well the very first time I tried it, but the last few tries have ended up with the filling mostly absorbed into the cake layers.
Would crumb-coating the cake help stop this (I'd like to avoid having to do an extra step) or am I possibly doing something wrong in preparing the filling? Please help! My Mom loves the filling and I want to use it in her birthday cake for this weekend!

8 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 9

I had a look at the recipe and I think you would have to put a layer of buttercream then the filling to avoid it soaking into the cake.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 9

If you don't want to change your raspberry receipe your only solution is likely to be a crumb coat of the layers. As least its a simple step and it shouldn't waste much time

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with the previous posts-need at least a thin coat of BC underneath the filling and this should take care of the problem.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 9

There are two things you can do.

First, as mentioned, a thin coat of buttercream.

Second option is to shellac the layers with melted jam. You can use any jar of jam, but apricot is a mellow flavor that doesn't interfere with most flavors.

Melt the jam in the microwave and paint it on the cake layer with a pastry brush. It will cool quickly and acts to seal the cake from the more liquid fruit filing.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

There are two things you can do.

First, as mentioned, a thin coat of buttercream.

Second option is to shellac the layers with melted jam. You can use any jar of jam, but apricot is a mellow flavor that doesn't interfere with most flavors.

Melt the jam in the microwave and paint it on the cake layer with a pastry brush. It will cool quickly and acts to seal the cake from the more liquid fruit filing.

Thanks for the info! Much needed and appreciated!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 9

You switch to sleeve fillings. I use raspberry all the time and have never once had a problem with it soaking into the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

You switch to sleeve fillings. I use raspberry all the time and have never once had a problem with it soaking into the cake.

agree. In an emergency, I had to use raspberry jam from the grocery. It turned brown and soaked into the cake and looked AWFUL when I cut that cake at the wedding. Another benefit to cutting my own cakes is I can SEE what my work looks like to the client. I never ever used this stuff again.

sleeve fillings only. shelf stable, wont' soak in, great tasting, designed to be used in cakes.

Lisana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisana Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 9

AGreat questions. I also have had the same problem with a Bavarian cream cheese filling which got absorbed into the cake layers . Would a crumb coat help with that as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%