Lace & Extension Work Substitute?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 11:19am by Karen421

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 23

I may have a cake order for the following cake with a few alterations:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1620586.html

This cake was a fruitcake, and obviously took many many hours of work, which was fine because it was done in a class over 12 weeks and fruitcakes last many years!

The lady would like the cake in 3 tier chocolate mud cake. Cake decorating is not my full time job, so unless I charged her hundreds of dollars, I will not be taking time off work to do this cake.
So not only have we got an extra tier to cover, its a race against time with keeping the cake fresh.
She also wants the flowers in purple and white, not pink and white.
I still have these flowers at home, I'm thinking about using the same ones and just putting purple colouring over them, purple being a stronger colour, it would hopefully kill the pink - what do you think?

My main concern is what to tell her with all that lace and extension work? I would like to find a quicker substitute, has anyone got any patterns, cutters or ideas that might do the trick? I've let her know we will have to compromise on price and design due to the nature of that cake.

22 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 23

I see the lace points, but I do not see extensionwork. What I see is a scalloped, textured ribbon. Extensionwork has gaps between the threads that create light and shadow. There are no gaps between the ribs on that scalloped ribbon.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I see the lace points, but I do not see extensionwork. What I see is a scalloped, textured ribbon. Extensionwork has gaps between the threads that create light and shadow. There are no gaps between the ribs on that scalloped ribbon.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

trust me, its extension work - I didn't swear and carry on with a 00 round icing tube and a cup of boiling water for all those hours for nothing!!!!

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 23

A potential shortcut for lace, you could use patchwork cutters from the embroidery embossers set by marion frost. Obviously you would be restricted with the design and its not as fine as normal lace.
I just did a cake without extension but it sill had lace and a scallop piped underneath with embroidery, so it still looks similar but was much quicker.
I will try to attach pic of what i mean....
Ok, pic didn't attach, it's in my photos.....

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

trust me, its extension work - I didn't swear and carry on with a 00 round icing tube and a cup of boiling water for all those hours for nothing!!!!

Then that's the tightest darn extensionwork I've ever seen. Congratulations! Sincerely, I'm impressed.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ChucKles Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

Then that's the tightest darn extensionwork I've ever seen.

We were taught that when piping extension work there should not be room between the threads for another thread to fit in between. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 23

Isn't there a grosgrain ribbon texture rolling pin available? Those lines might be narrow enough to substitute for the extensionwork.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I can definitely see the spacing and that's definitely extension. Gorgeous job on that. I can't imagine the headache it caused you.

But maybe this:

www.wilton.com/technique/Fondant-Ribbons-Strips-and-Embossing

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 23

I think it would be just too heavy and probably just a fiddly trying to glue so many strips on.
I'm thinking a patchwork cutter, I just need to find some dainty examples and where to buy what cutter from....

ChucKles Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #10 of 23

I've put some pics in my photos of the patchwork cutters i was talking about for the lace. I got mine at Susie-Q.
For the extension could you cut a strip of scalloped fondant and go along at even spaced intervals with a toothpick or fine piece of wire, and press it into the fondant? then you could finish it off with a fine snail trail along the scalloped edge?
(Pic in my photos to show what i mean)

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #11 of 23

ok, please tell me - what's a snail trail?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

I've put some pics in my photos of the i was talking about for the lace. I got mine at Susie-Q.
For the extension could you cut a strip of scalloped fondant and go along at even spaced intervals with a toothpick or fine piece of wire, and press it into the fondant? then you could finish it off with a fine snail trail along the scalloped edge?
(Pic in my photos to show what i mean)

Hey Chuckles
You've got a few pics there, can you paste us a link to the one you're talking about? Cheers icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #13 of 23

snail trail is the tiny borders - done with a 1 or 0 tip usually.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:50am
post #14 of 23

I know a little cheat for the lace pieces, and I'm willing to share lol. I went on the Stephen Benison website and ordered a sheet he has with the lace pieces on it. You just place the sheet with the lace design on wax paper and put on the RI and scrape off the access. Peel off the sheet, let the pieces dry and slowly remove and put on cake. www.SugarArtistry.com is the web site. Good luck and hope that helped.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:35am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

I know a little cheat for the lace pieces, and I'm willing to share lol. I went on the Stephen Benison website and ordered a sheet he has with the lace pieces on it. You just place the sheet with the lace design on wax paper and put on the RI and scrape off the access. Peel off the sheet, let the pieces dry and slowly remove and put on cake. www.SugarArtistry.com is the web site. Good luck and hope that helped.

What is RI? I have no idea what any of this is, I'll have to look into it as it sounds VERY interesting!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #16 of 23

RI - royal icing!

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

RI - royal icing!

ah, DER!! sorry, LOL icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #18 of 23
Quote:

Hi ThatsLifeCA - are you able to tell me exactly where on the website these are? There's so much stuff that I'm having trouble locating them and trying to picture how its actually done...
Thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:24am
post #19 of 23

Hi ThatsLifeCA - are you able to tell me exactly where on the website these are? There's so much stuff that I'm having trouble locating them and trying to picture how its actually done...
Thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Hi sweet_toof I sure can tell you. You go to the web site and look under accessories then look under stencils. He has two there, one is lace hearts and the other is snowflakes. It makes doing lace pieces easy peasy. Just make sure you make lots, they break so easliy. Oh yes, and don't forget that if you order you are paying in British Pound, google "money exchange" and it will do the money exchange for you. Hope that helps.

ChucKles Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:23am
post #20 of 23

I dont know how to attach a link, it's the first pic in my photos of the piece of paper with typing on it called 'Patchwork Cutters". all the pics im talking about are under that one page.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:24am
post #21 of 23
Quote:

Thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

Hi sweet_toof I sure can tell you. You go to the web site and look under accessories then look under stencils. He has two there, one is lace hearts and the other is snowflakes. It makes doing lace pieces easy peasy. Just make sure you make lots, they break so easliy. Oh yes, and don't forget that if you order you are paying in British Pound, google "money exchange" and it will do the money exchange for you. Hope that helps.[/quote]

I'm sorry, I'm hopeless. There's so much happening on that website. Do you know what page it is once I get into the stencil section?
On the side of the page, there is also a "BENISON-Sugar Artistry" link which then gives you a few options in there too but I don't know if those things you're talking about are in there?
Benison Books and Media
Benison Cutters
Benison Molds and Formers
Benison Side Design Rollers

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:27am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

I dont know how to attach a link, it's the first pic in my photos of the piece of paper with typing on it called '". all the pics im talking about are under that one page.

Thanks heaps Chuckles, I worked it out!
For some reason I can't even click on your name from within this forum, luckily I was able to access your details through that private message you sent me icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:19am
post #23 of 23

Thanks for that tip on Stephen Benison, his texture mats are really cool! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%