Drum Set Cake

Decorating By sarahp7467 Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm by sarahp7467

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 3

OK, so I got an order for a drum set cake. It is a personal cake so it doesn't have to be really big, and I am pretty confident on everything except the bass drum. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stand it up without the cake collapsing on the bottom? I was thinking of just putting it on dowels, but my dh thinks that if we just lay if flat and cover it in fondant, then wait until it drys to stand it up, it will be fine. ??? Any suggestions would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 3

I have a drum set cake order as well! I would suggest making the bass drum a dummy cake, then no need to worry about collapsing cake. Also, depending on the size drum you're making, you could also use cereal treats. Good luck!

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Jamielc, I was so excited for this challenge, until the customer decided it was too expensive. I don't think that a drum set replica AND a 1/4 sheet cake for $150 is too much!! but oh well, you win some and you lose some. It just kills me when people don't understand that these specialty cakes take a LOT of time and, our time is not free icon_smile.gif

Good luck on your cake, I would love to see pictures

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%