Anyone Have A License For Home Bakery In North Carolina

Business By teddy0826 Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 6:46am by Creative_chika

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 5

I would love to get licensed in my Home. I live in Union County. I did go on the website and I am still unclear that it might be possible. I have talked to some people about it my cake classes and they say don't even bother that its way to hard and very costly. Would you have to keep everything separate from your own kitchen? would I have to build onto my home like a separate kitchen? I would just like some advice from someone that has been through it.

4 replies
teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 5

I am located by Charlotte, N.C forgot to mention that.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:18am
post #3 of 5

you can have a home kitchen in NC and it's actually very simple and very cheap to set up. you have to be registered with the state and county (visit the courthouse website). you have to be inspected by the health dept. (visit the state website...dept. of agriculture) and it's free for them to come to your house. a few keys things...shatter resistant lightbulbs in the kitchen, thermometer in the fridge, nothing stored on the floor, no pets, sanitation cycle on your dishwasher, steel utensils on your KA mixer, etc. you also need to get your business license (courthouse website again). you'll also want to set up an LLC/S corp/etc. (i did this online as well). get insurance (through your existing carrier should do). file for a tax id number (online). i think i've covered part of this process costs a lot of money, it's just a lot of time (which for me is hard to find!) and no one gave me a list telling me what to do or where to go...i had to figure it out myself!

of course after you do all of the above, there's still so much to do before you should ever sell a single cake...but it's a start. this business is a lot more than just making cakes...we're selling a food product to the public and that's serious stuff.

we are very lucky though to live in a state where we can operate out of our home kitchen...very little overhead!!!

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:25am
post #4 of 5

Thank You very much for taking the time for giving me great advice, I just wanted alittle input before I started all of this. I had my own Barber Shop and had to get licensed by the state and it was a pain as well but worth it in the end. Do you get to use alot of write offs? Anything else you can think of would be great, Thanks again!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:46am
post #5 of 5

if you have a well (for water) you need to have it inspected, I'm outside the city, and my water is supplied by a company not the city; therefore I need to have my water company inspect the well .. Im not 100% sure, but I heard something like this... Good Luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%