Can Anyone Tell Me

Decorating By love2frost Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 3:10am by cheatize

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

what the cake "people" on all of the tv shows are putting on their cake layers before they're putting the filling on. Some of them "paint" it on with a paint brush and others use a bottle and squirt it on. I'm assuming it's some kind of flavoring but I'm not sure. Thanks!!

6 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

Probably some kind of simple syrup. Some people use it to help keep the cakes moist. That's my best guess.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 7

Some version of simple syrup, it helps keep the cakes moist and maybe gives their cakes the yum factor associated with their bakeries.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 7

It's properly called a wash, and yes, its a simple syrup. I use it on every cake. And no my cakes aren't dry to start with.

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much! I'm thinking about trying it! I bet you could add some neat flavors to your cakes with this stuff!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

Leah, I've always wondered...does it make your cake soggy? My cakes are moist to begin with, it reminds me of a tres leches cake when soaked in simple syrup...GROSS. Is it the same affect?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 7

I'd love to know how much to put on. The one time I did it, I put on way too much and ended up with cake mush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%