Covering A Square Cake

Decorating By ambermarie Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 4:00am by lyndim

ambermarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermarie Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me some tips or tricks to covering a large cake with fondant? I tried covering a 12" round with fondant using the large wilton roller and it was a disaster. It kept ripping apart! I ended up having to cover the cake in pieces which surprisingly worked out ok, but now I have someone asking me for a 3 tier square cake covered in fondant.

I have no idea how I'm going to do this. I know covering a square cake is harder than a round one, and I'm also a bit nervous considering the size of the square tiers (8", 12" and 16").

Can anyone give me tips on how to do this?

5 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 6

I was taught to roll fondant out onto a large piece of vinyl smeared w/shortening so that you can pick up the whole thing supported by the vinyl and then flip it over onto the cake.

There is a large thread here on CC about the merits of "The Mat" by Sweetwise and the potential of vinyl to be "unsafe" due to chemicals leeching.

I won't drag you into that but w/either product you are using the mat to hold the fondant so that it doesn't tear when you move it to the cake.


TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 6

If you aren't able to roll the fondant over your rolling pin or large PVC pipe, go with Kristy's suggestion. Any other way is probably more trouble than the cost of The Mat or a large silicone mat...

ambermarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermarie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 6

Hmm..the mat idea is a good one. I have the large round wilton mat and unfortunately it wasn't big enough so it ended up going off and putting lines in the fondant. I'll have to look for a larger mat! Any suggestions on where I can find one?

The PVC pipe is a good idea too. Since my roller isn't big enough either. Again..where would I find PVC pipe? lol sorry for so many questions!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

You can get PVC pipe at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

You can get the vinyl at a fabric store like Joanns or get The Mat online.


lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:00am
post #6 of 6

I just got the"Mat" today, haven't had a chance to try it out, but from the video and others who have used it, it looks like a great way to cover cakes with fondant. It wasn't all that expensive. I can't wait to give it a go. If anyone out there has tried it, I'd love to hear how they liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%