How Do I Get A Really Dark Brown Chocolate Buttercream...

Baking By Tracyj Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 11:21pm by wendalls

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 8

The darkest I can get is still very light. Is melted chocolate better to use than cocoa powder? I've considered using thickened ganache but it dries to be pretty dull doesn't it?

7 replies
MistyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyG Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 8

I use the baking coco and then add some of the Wilton's brown color. Sometimes I have to use the wiltons black color (just a tad) to get a very dark brown. thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 8

Use hersey's special dark cocoa and still if you wnat a dark, dark brown use brown and black gel coloring.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 8

How much cocoa are you putting in your frosting.... I get a nice deep brown from using Hershey's regular.. the special dark really gets it DEEEEP darn tho.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

I like the special dark cocoa myself. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1237322

This is a cake I did using it. I always get a great dark chocolate color with it.

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thank yall. I really don't measure it. I just dump and dump some more. But it's still too light. I'm going to try the special dark. Texas Sugar that is the brown that I am going for. I didn't want to add too much brown coloring just because of the taste. Personal preference.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 8

Tracyj, I use a modified version of Martha Stewart's fudge frosting recipe. I think the color will be what you're looking for. I tried several recipes before finding this one. It comes out the color of a candy bar. The tast is very rich and dark, I would describe it as grown up chocolate icon_lol.gif, my family loves it!

6 tbs Butter
6 tbs Vegetable Shortening
3 ½ cups Confectioners' Sugar
1 cup Cocoa Powder
2 tbs Meringue Powder
½ cup (prox) Milk, slightly warmer than room temperature
2 tsps vanilla (or other favorite flavoring

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 8

I found by mistake that adding blue and red foodcolouring to my choc icing made it go dark choc colour.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%