Kitchen Rental Advice

Business By sheshe09 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 4:29am by sheshe09

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone I am looking into renting some kitchen space in the state of Michigan and I'm looking for some advice on what to do and not to do. Only need a few hours a week. Please help ....... just trying to do right

5 replies
sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 6

Wow..... I have yet to get a reply. So, know has rented kitchen space before?

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 6

Sorry about no real responses....I can tell you that this topic is posted frequently so it's been answered many times before. If you do a search through the cake business forum, you'll likely see your answer in there. Hope that helps!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6

I rent space in a commercial kitchen in Ca. Usually the more time you rent the better rate you get. I am not a full time baker, so I get a good rate by paying for 40 hours in advance. I also get free storage of ing ( in CA you need to store ingredients at kitchen.) Nothing can go home with you. I also need to have liability insurance and food safety certificate and health permit, and of course a business license. I know this isn't much help for you..I don't know Michigan law. Sometimes you can find a local restaurant, bagel shop...that will rent out when they are not using it. There are also health permitted kitchens in some schools, churches, or community centers that rent out kitchen.

Hopefully a michiganite will respond.. Good Luck.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

It's going to be different in every area. The one in my area that is specifically a biz that rents space (in other words it's not someone elses kitchen, it has 6 stations that can be booked 24/7 in addition to prep only areas) has different packages; the larger package you get, the cheaper the hourly rate is. The small package in this kutchen is $450 for 20 hours, but all you have to do is get your biz license and liability insurance. (of course your requirements may differ in your state). You may want to check churches or other restaurants to see if you can rent space there, it's probably cheaper, but sometimes depending on your state they may have to assume liability for your work...HTH but unless someone in your area can answer your question better, you will probably have to search "shared kitchens" and ask the specific questions to that person....don't know if this helps you at all but good luck! icon_smile.gif

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:29am
post #6 of 6

Thanks you all for your assistance I will also search the forum to see if anyone from my state posted early. The more I know the better I'll be

Quote by @%username% on %date%