We're Re-Starting The Cccc Please Join Us!

Baking By JessDesserts Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 12:52pm by ILoveDaffodils

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 84

come one, come all!!

We would like to start the cupcake club again! We can pick up right where we left off CCCC#14.

This is a link to the original, so you can refresh yourself: (or if this is the first you're hearing about it......GREAT! Welcome and please stay and bake with us!!)
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600308-cccc.html

and this is a link to where we recently starting discussing the CCCC revival:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6970633.html#6970633

With that said, I would like to introduce the next recipe....... drumroll please...... party.gif

Salted caramel chocolate cupcakes
Cupcakes
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup warm water
sea salt, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin pans with paper liners.

Whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and water. mix on low speed, mix until smooth.

Fill muffin pans about 2/3 full. Bake about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to wire racks to let cool completely.

Salted Caramel Filling
2 & 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 & 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
Heat sugar, water, and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Stir occasionally until syrup is clear. Attach a candy thermometer to side of pan. Stop stirring, and cook until syrup comes to a boil, washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush as needed.

Boil, gently swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is caramelized and temperature just reaches 360°.

Remove from heat. Slowly pour in cream and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in sea salt. Use immediately. If caramel begins to harden, reheat gently until pourable.

Use a paring knife, cut a cone-shaped piece, about 1/2-inch deep, from the center of each cupcake. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of warm filling into each cupcake. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over filling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 & 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 pounds semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Combine cocoa and boiling water. Stir until cocoa has dissolved.

Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners sugar, and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add melted and cooled chocolate. Beat until combined. Beat in cocoa mixture.

Frost cupcakes and then garnish with a pinch of sea salt.

83 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 84

Jess, I have chills! I've never been so happy to have a thread revived! thumbs_up.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 84

So glad to see this again. And this recipe sounds so wonderful icon_biggrin.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 84

Can I just jump in? icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 84

I am gonna have to go back and read about what this thread is about but if its cupcakes I am in no matter what!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 84

Nicely done Jess!
So are we going with the same rules or what ?
I think last time we had what maybe 1-2 weeks to try the recipe and post what we thought about it ..If I remember right we gave that amount of time so all that wanted to try it had planty of time to do so with their already busy lifes !
what's your thoughts ?

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 84

Oh and Jess those recipes sound amazing I am definitely gonna have to try them!

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 84

I was reading on the previous thread and I am confused as to the rules of the group and how recipe submissions go... I spend a lot of time searching for good recipes and have come up with quite a few so how do I go about submitting them? or one of them?? I have a great fall one!

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 84

I think 2 weeks is fair, because some people get really busy and get left behind.

The person who has the current submission will choose the next person to submit a recipe based on who shows interest in doing it. luvbuttercream, if you express your interest to jess who is doing this month, that's how we're handling it!

Anyone who is new...YES please, join us, jump right in! You bake the recipe the way it's written and tell us your results. Did you like it, would you change something about it, what was good, what wasn't.

Also, please remember, always constructive criticisms. And bear in mind that sometimes people are choosing a recipe they found somewhere, but haven't actually used yet, (that happened to me... I picked a savory recipe that sounded awesome and it was cr@p icon_redface.gif ) so please don't think the poster just intentionally gave you a poo-ish recipe! icon_lol.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 84

Is there a date for when this recipe will be closed to discussion- just wnat to make sure I work it into my schedule. I was just playing with a saltd caramel recipe last week!

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 84

YUM! I love cupcakes! Can't wait to try it!

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcakesmom

Is there a date for when this recipe will be closed to discussion- just wnat to make sure I work it into my schedule. I was just playing with a saltd caramel recipe last week!

Actually what happens is that the next person will start a new thread and we'll move on to the next recipe, but at any time you can come back to the previous threads and try any of our past recipes. We never actually 'close' them. Sometimes people get so busy, they wait until they get a break, then go back and do the last 3 threads all at once. No problem with that. We're always up for feedback!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 84

Thanks Jess for starting this up again. The recipe sounds amazing! Just let us know how long you want to give us to try it out. To choose the next submitter you can have everyone that wants to pm you and you can pick a number between 1 and 100 or something like that to make it easy to pick.
Can't wait to try all the wonderful recipes!

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 84

Just to clarify I like to play with cake mix recipes are these suitable for submission??

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 84

This sounds awesome! Are you going to repost the rules or should we all go and review the first link you provided?

Trish

JessDesserts Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 84

Theres are the rules from the original post:

CCCC better known as Cake Central Cupcake Club!
I thought it would be fun to start a Cupcake Club like Oprah's Book Club and test out different cupcake recipes. The intention of the CCCC is to explore new recipes and techniques.
This is no place for bashing... constructive criticism only. You can say you didn't like a recipe, but say why, and if you have suggestions for 'fixing' that issue. Example: "The flavor was good but the cake was too dry, so I added 1/4 c. more oil and 1 egg." Or something to the effect of, "They came out dry, did anyone else notice that? What did you do to fix it?"
The first time you should follow the recipe as it is given, otherwise you're not truly testing the recipe. Then... if you loved it... you're done. If you felt it could be improved, make your improvements and post what you did.
ll give you a week to try it out and pick someone new to pick out a new recipe for the next week then they can pick the next person, etc. That person will start the new thread, adding the link from the first thread, etc.
Anyone can jump in any time! If the sound of the recipe doesnât appeal to you then try the next one.
Thanks to the ladies on the âHow about a thread to seriously discuss making cupcakes?????" thread for helping me out with this!
Rules:
1. Have fun!
2. No bashing!
3. Start with original recipe.
4. Give constructive criticism.

OK, with that cut and pasted.....I think that 2 weeks is fair. So, to be fair again, let say the start date will be tomorrow and the end date ill be October 28th, 2010. OK?ok.

I have some things to take care of today, but ill be back a little later.

Please remember, the most important thing is TO HAVE FUN!!! No nastiness will be tolerated. Its about baking, experimenting, sharing and once again, having fun !!

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 84

really excited to try this recipe and see where this all goes, thanks for re-starting and thanks for letting us newbies join in on the fun!

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

Just to clarify I like to play with cake mix recipes are these suitable for submission??

Absolutely! Those can sometimes be the best ones! I love doing that too!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 84

Yay!!!

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:35am
post #20 of 84

Okay one more question, will we return to this forum posting to post our findings or will the recipe originator start a new forum with the title of the recipe to post our responses?

Trish

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #21 of 84

I'd love to join in on this too! Hopefully I can find some where to take all these cupcakes I'll be making or I might as well just buy my big elastic pants now.

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #22 of 84

Normally we have posted them right here. That way the recipe and results are all together. Then, when the next person chooses a recipe, they start a new thread and in this thread they will make a link to it so everyone can find it easily. As well as a link to the original 'rules' thread so people can read up on it if they're not familiar.

GrandmaG, you are completely correct about the 1-100 thing. I totally forgot! The person who wrote the current thread will choose a number, and anyone interested in doing the next thread will PM them their number and the closest one will get to do the next thread. Can't believe that fact escaped my brain. Thank goodness I have *someone* keeping me in line. icon_lol.gif Goodness knows I can't always handle it by myself. thumbs_up.gif

JessDesserts Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:17am
post #23 of 84

Mel, what would I do without you?

Cake Central should have some honorary title for people like you that are always willing to help, always willing to share, who remain positive and kind even when others forget how to act properly and who I consider it a privilege to call a friend.

Thank you for answering all the questions posed. I was out and about enjoying my birthday!

I already made the cupcakes and I must say.....they're AB-FAB! ! !

I will post pics and details tomorrow, so be sure to check back!!

Im so excited that this 'baking club' has started again!!

Long live the cupcake!! LOL

jess

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

Cake Central should have some honorary title for people like you that are always willing to help, always willing to share, who remain positive and kind even when others forget how to act properly and who I consider it a privilege to call a friend.

We used to. I was glad to see it go after one of the honorees used instructions I, and others, had given her, on another forum, to create a tutorial which she then shared here, without any acknowledgements to those who taught her the technique in the first place. Needless to say, she's no longer a member there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #25 of 84

October 28th sounds great Jess!
Box mix recipes are totally OK! Love to try all kinds. I think in the next thread we should include the links to all the original recipes too.

JessDesserts Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:18am
post #27 of 84

im so sorry I didnt realize this sooner, but the caramel stage is about 320-350.

The recipe calls for the caramel to be cooked to 360. Thats a mistake. If you cook it to 360 , it will taste burnt.

The issue is, In my personal opinion, what temperature do you want to cook it to? Light golden will occur between 315-320 and then golden color will happen from 330-340.

I would cook it to about 330, but thats from experience, as well as my personal preference.

Especially since salt will be added, if the caramel is a bit on the bitter side, and then salt is added, it will most probably be unpleasant.

I just wanted to let everyone know. Again, im sorry I didnt realize this sooner.

ill post my results a little later.

jess

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #28 of 84

sounds fun!

JessDesserts Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:43am
post #29 of 84

Before I post my results, I just want to reiterate that EVERYONE is welcome to join!! Please tell your fellow CC'ers how much fun it will be and they're welcome!!

Ok, so here we go......

I made the recipe exactly as written, thats part of the rules.

I have no problem with the cake batter. It was very easy, not too many ingredients, nothing complicated and baked nicely. The recipe yielded 2 dozen cuppies. The crumb was nice, not too dense, actually nice and airy, moist too. Rose nicely but not a dome.

The caramel.....DO NOT COOK THE CARAMEL TO 360. Its too high of a temperature and it will be bitter. The caramel varies depening on where you look or what you read. In pastry school we were taught 310. Personally, I think its a matter of taste. I like 330.
I would also wait until the caramel cools quite a bit beofre pouring it into the cuppies. I poured it in while it was hot-ish/warm-ish and it just melted into the cupcake, making it kind of mushy. Since I ate the pieces of the cuppies while I was cutting holes in them ( the cone method) <hanging my head in shame> I couldnt 'patch them icon_surprised.gif(

The frosting.....the taste was fantastic but i wasnt fond of the texture. It was just too loose. It didnt pipe properly even though I made sure it was cool. my personal opinion about this is next time ill definitely add more powdered sugar.

I saved some of the caramel and drizzled it on the cuppy. Then I sprinkled some pink sea salt on top. Presentation is beautiful like that.

I blogged about this recipe, so please feel free to stop by and look, there are lots and lots of pics!

JessDesserts Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:30pm
post #30 of 84

I wanted to add one more thing.....

I think, again my personal opinion, theres too much salt in the middle salted caramel. Its a little too salty for me and takes away from the sweet/salty theme.

I think if the middle was less salty but there was salt sprinkled on top of the caramel drizzled on top, it will work much better.

IMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%